Advice needed! (accelerated RN/NP/PA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chocolatetherapy

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! I'm really stuck and advice would be very helpful!

I just graduated with a BSc. from an Ontario university and now I have a few options. I previously decided to pursue the DO route and got accepted into a DO school in the US, but realized becoming a doctor was not for me. I now have a few alternatives and don't know where I should go with this. I currently have a job offer as a receptionist making $40k a year that I could possibly work for a few years while I figure things out. I know I want to become a PA or NP eventually, but I'm not sure if I have the clinical experience to apply to PA schools right away (1000+ hours).

I also just got accepted into a 2 year accelerated nursing program in Ontario, and could possibly finish the RN degree and apply to either PA right after or NP after a few years but that would require me working as an RN for a few years and that's not really ideal....

Would working for a year or two and getting the clinical experience necessary for PA schools in the US be better OR would starting this RN degree and either applying to PA right after it or NP after a few years of RN experience be better (but being an RN is exactly what I want to do )??? Any help is appreciated!