• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Advice needed for DO

hemsky

Feb 10, 2013
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello SDN,

cGPA: 2.89 sGPA: 2.8
50 hours of volunteering in a local hospital
Will begin shadowing this summer of a primary care physician
No research.
Red Cross volunteer
2000+ hours of medical scribing in an emergency department at a large teaching hospital
During school I worked about 10 to 15 hours a week as a scribe.
MCAT will be taken in April.

So I am worried that I may not get an interview this cycle and I am applying to DO schools that I feel I will be competitive based off of my GPA statistics. I will have 6 LOR's, 3 from physicians who I have worked with over the past 2 years, pre-med adviser, and one from my work. I am also going to ask one of my chemistry professors but I am unsure if he will write me a strong letter.

I know my chances are probably pretty slim as I am very weak academically but my question is will I be able to get some interviews with my work experience and an MCAT score >28?

Upvote 0

jitothe10

Apr 11, 2012
  1. Medical Student
Since I am not on an adcom, I don't necessarily want to say what will/could happen. Instead, I will give you a quick rundown of what happened to me at an interview at one of the oldest do schools in the nation. Although my stats were s/cgpa above a 3.4 and mcat >30, a member of the interview committee ran down my transcript and named classes where I had passed (I had no Ds nor Fs). She grilled me and asked me how I got my mcat score if I performed so poorly academically. This maybe an extreme case, but it does happen even in the interview. My ec's included research (clinical and lab-based), hospital, shadowing, and campus related/leadership activities.

I just want to give you one recent experience. That school did not accept me although other schools closer to my home state did. I hope this helps.

Upvote 0
About the Ads
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
I think you're out of luck with all except maybe the newest DO schools. The MCAT will not offset the poor GPA.

Suggest re-taking all C science grades to boost your GPA >3.0, or try an SMP, preferably one given by a medical school.

Hello SDN,

cGPA: 2.89 sGPA: 2.8
50 hours of volunteering in a local hospital
Will begin shadowing this summer of a primary care physician
No research.
Red Cross volunteer
2000+ hours of medical scribing in an emergency department at a large teaching hospital
During school I worked about 10 to 15 hours a week as a scribe.
MCAT will be taken in April.

So I am worried that I may not get an interview this cycle and I am applying to DO schools that I feel I will be competitive based off of my GPA statistics. I will have 6 LOR's, 3 from physicians who I have worked with over the past 2 years, pre-med adviser, and one from my work. I am also going to ask one of my chemistry professors but I am unsure if he will write me a strong letter.

I know my chances are probably pretty slim as I am very weak academically but my question is will I be able to get some interviews with my work experience and an MCAT score >28?

Upvote 0

V5RED

PGY-2 Family Medicine
10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2011
  1. Medical Student
Why are your GPAs so low?

Did you have a really poor start in college and got better grades as you went along, did you start strong and see a slip in grades over time, did you have a couple randomly awful semesters, or were you pretty much a B- student the entire time?

I thought you needed a few LORs from professors, but maybe I am wrong, idk.

Did you understand the concepts in your pre-requisites? Given that the MCAT is based off of them and your sGPA is low, it seems like banking on a 28+ score to get into a school is a bit tough.

Upvote 0

DOhope

Feb 2, 2013
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I am curious to find out what this persons major was. 2.8 gpa is not unheard of for engineers. Still going to screw your/our chances of getting into med school. Either way retakes + strong mcat and lots and lots of praying. Good luck!

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.