Advice needed for my RC progress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Loving123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my DAT in mid September.
I have been practicing RC with various materials that I bought and got from local library.

The scores that I got so far:
Kaplan: 18-19, 18-19
McGraw-Hill: 17-18, 20-21, 19.5
Cracking DAT : 17
Gold Standard: 17
Barron: 15-16, 17, 17, 17-18, 18-19

*I did it as I listed above.

Even though I have been constantly practicing RC section, I am out of my time.
The first two passages out of the three, I am pretty good at getting the answers but with the last passage, I am almost guessing every answer which brings my score down.

I am using S&D and reading the whole passage strategy.

Please give me some advice:S
Right now, I am really worried about RC section..
Thank you guys in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend writing a few key words down (names, weird terms, or the basic idea of that paragraph in a word or two) for each paragraph. I found that doing that helped me a lot especially with speed and S&D. I would also recommend maybe trying Bootcamp (I believe they have one free RC?). Try taking one of those - I found BC was incredibly representative of the DAT and excellent practice. As for timing, I found that it helped me to spend 8-9 minutes reading the passage and then the rest 11-12 min answering questions / S&D. I hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I would appreciate if you share the ISBN of that Bootcamp. And what is S&D please ??

S&D is the search and destroy method. You basically just read the question and look for the answers in the passages. It worked really well on my DAT but the time restraint makes it hard and also puts pressure on you. Try it out on bootcamp and see if you feel comfortable with it

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I would appreciate if you share the ISBN of that Bootcamp. And what is S&D please ??

Hey! Here is the link to Bootcamp: http://datbootcamp.com/ - signing up for it is free (you'll be able to take one subject test for each of the sections), but to access more of the sections you have to pay for it. It's an excellent source! Over-prepares you a bit, but it's better to be safe! Good luck! :)

I would recommend writing a few key words down (names, weird terms, or the basic idea of that paragraph in a word or two) for each paragraph. I found that doing that helped me a lot especially with speed and S&D. I would also recommend maybe trying Bootcamp (I believe they have one free RC?). Try taking one of those - I found BC was incredibly representative of the DAT and excellent practice. As for timing, I found that it helped me to spend 8-9 minutes reading the passage and then the rest 11-12 min answering questions / S&D. I hope this helps!

Thanks for your advice.
I have been writing down some terms but end it up being full page load of terms lol..
I guess I should practice with it for a bit.
Also I already have the bootcamp subscription but I am saving it after I get through all of the materials that I have right now:)'

Thanks again!

Thanks for your advice.
I have been writing down some terms but end it up being full page load of terms lol..
I guess I should practice with it for a bit.
Also I already have the bootcamp subscription but I am saving it after I get through all of the materials that I have right now:)'

Thanks again!

Don't worry about a full page! I had that too - it was a lot faster going through one page than the entire passage again. But you're definitely right - practice will help you refine your strategy / skills. Good luck! :)

Don't worry about a full page! I had that too - it was a lot faster going through one page than the entire passage again. But you're definitely right - practice will help you refine your strategy / skills. Good luck! :)
Thank you:)

Can someone answer if on the actual DAT RC section, can you view the question and the passage at the same time? I know it's stupid question but it's driving me crazy. I assume they wouldn't make us scroll all the way back to the passage to find the answer, it is probably in its own window above the question, correct?
Thanks