Advice needed for post interview communication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s@t

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

What is the most professional/best way to express genuine interest in program after finishing residency interview there. Is it good idea to send frequent interest email to program director or it sound desperate.

I truly appreciate your valuable advice in this regards.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the most professional/best way to express genuine interest in program after finishing residency interview there. Is it good idea to send frequent interest email to program director or it sound desperate.
I think it sounds desperate (n=1). The programs I interviewed at (for internal medicine) all said that routine thank you / interest emails were not necessary, and that we should only contact them post-interview if we had questions that they can help answer.
I'm aware that this may be different for other specialties though. Even then though, I'd only contact them once.

At least for my surgical subspecialty, it's worth contacting them if they're your #1 choice and informing them of said fact. And then have your faculty contact them and reconfirm it. Possibly do a second look if you didn't do a sub-I there. Beyond that, words don't mean all that much b/c programs know everyone sends emails with phrases like "rank you highly" "strongly interested" or whatever you choose, to a bunch of places.

Personally, I tried to come up with a question to establish a conversation. Also, let them know I have them #1 and will reiterate that when I go down to look at the area for possible places to live. Since I will have a family to bring I wanted my SO to feel more comfortable with the location and also have an idea of where to live.

I figure if I am looking at housing options and asking them what do they recommend to incoming residents then I am showing a strong interest and plan on coming down. And not shooting you BS!

Or you could just send them a screen shot of your rank list. lol

one thank you note is reasonable. anything more sounds desperate.

what specialty is it? for certain fields (like small surgical subspecialties), where everyone knows everyone, a phone call from faculty will be helpful.

Photoshop and/or re-certifying the rank list after the screen shot? I guess there's a reason why programs are so skeptical of these post-interview correspondences :laugh:
Programs?
Ha, applicants should be more skeptical than programs

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry for double post..I meant to post it in general residency section but instead posted it at http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/ophthalmology-eye-physicians-surgeons.47/

Yes, I'm a first time poster and sorry about that. I'm reposting here..hopefully this is ok:

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Say candidate sent #1 email to two separate programs, Program A and Program B. Both programs ranked the candidate in their quota expecting that candidate will match for sure.

If the candidate matched at program A, what're the repercussions for candidate from both programs? Can program B come after candidate by contacting program A and say hey this candidate is a liar, fire him or something? More importantly, how will program B find out where candidate matched? The discussion on whether this is kosher or not aside, how likely is it to hurt candidate if he/she is never going to apply at program B for any fellowships or job..he has obviously burnt the bridges at program B and that's understood. Does he/she stand to lose the residency even after getting matched at program A for this reason alone?

Thank you for your comments.

Sorry for double post..I meant to post it in general residency section but instead posted it at http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/ophthalmology-eye-physicians-surgeons.47/

Yes, I'm a first time poster and sorry about that. I'm reposting here..hopefully this is ok:

Say candidate sent #1 email to two separate programs, Program A and Program B. Both programs ranked the candidate in their quota expecting that candidate will match for sure.

If the candidate matched at program A, what're the repercussions for candidate from both programs? Can program B come after candidate by contacting program A and say hey this candidate is a liar, fire him or something? More importantly, how will program B find out where candidate matched? The discussion on whether this is kosher or not aside, how likely is it to hurt candidate if he/she is never going to apply at program B for any fellowships or job..he has obviously burnt the bridges at program B and that's understood. Does he/she stand to lose the residency even after getting matched at program A for this reason alone?

1359224193600650672.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

Programs will get a list of where everyone they ranked matched on the Monday following Match, so yes, Program B will know you matched at Program A. Program B will, of course, know that you matched elsewhere when they get their own list of new residents and your name isn't on it. When they get the list of where everyone matched they'll say "Hm" (or something along those lines). Then they will get about the business of welcoming their new residents and start the process of getting them licensed, credentialed, and otherwise ready to join the program in July. They won't give you another thought. The only real down side is if you apply for a fellowship at Program B and the residency PD has some involvement and happens to remember and happens to hold a grudge. Otherwise it's just another example of why so many reiterate that your #1 emails do not make much (if any) difference in a program's rank list.

Reactions: 1 user