Goozer

5+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2009
Status
I applied really really later this year, and I only applied to a few california schools.
I didn't get in anywhere.

I took the MCAT twice:
Sept. 08 - 11P-7V-10B OW 28O
Sept. 09- 14P-10V-14B MW 38M

I transfered from Community College to UCLA and graduated with a Bio major
Final UCLA GPA is 3.46
Science is a little higher 3.66

LORs from teachers and also my boss at work.

I have very very little clinical experience. I only shadowed a physician for 3 months.
But I have been working 2 jobs (more than full time) for the duration of my schooling.

I want to apply really early this year, like right when applications come out and I'm going to apply to more places.
I want to get into a decent place. Like a UC or at least a little known.
I prefer california, but I'm open to other states.

I had a few questions:
There are some one year masters programs, should I consider those? or would they not matter, since its too late.
What can I do to improve my chances?
Any other advice?
Any Help is appreciated.
Thank you

MiniMoo

5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2010
California
Status
Medical Student
Your main problem, as you've admitted, is your lack of volunteer experience. In addition to shadowing, the average applicant has at least 150 hours of clinical volunteering spread out over the course of a year or so. Ideally, an applicant would also have some kind of community service (ie: humane society, homeless shelter) as well as teaching experience, leadership, and research. If you haven't started accumulating any of these types of experiences, I would take a year off to bulk up EC's and to make your application as strong as possible before applying again. Also, apply early and to a broad range of schools next time around.

Batzmarucy831

5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2009
New York
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes, you will need more clinical experience. It came up many times over my interviews, so definitely have something solid.

When you reapply, you need to show some significant improvement, and in your case, it would be best with volunteer work. A master's program can't hurt, but it's usually for people who really need to boost their grades or something. Apply early and broadly, be realistic, and read that bible of an MSAR book. It'll give you helpful stats to narrow down your schools. Hope this helps.

dragonfly99

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Congrats on that MCAT score. That will help, and may help you get a foot in the door.

I don't think you'll get in, particularly at the competitive UC's, without significant medical volunteer experience. Rather than spending money on an expensive master's degree, I'd consider getting hooked up with a good volunteer program. If you live near one of the UC med schools, then could try one of their affiliated hospitals - it never hurts to have an inside connection. Or try to find out which local hospitals have the best volunteer programs.

Your GPA is a bit weak, especially since 1/2 was from a community college. You may want to beef up your academics by taking perhaps 1 class/semester of upper level biology.

I think to do all this you need to focus more on academics and community service, and I don't see how you can do it while working two jobs. Try to find one that will support you, while being able to do some of these other things. Even if you have to live on a small budget, it will be less money than you'd spend trying to do some master's degree or something.

Goozer

5+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2009
Status
Ok,
Thanks everyone for your help.
So i'll try to get into some kind of volunteer work program before applying.

By the way... Any particular place I can look for volunteer programs?