Advice Needed...MCW vs. NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptdoctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I came back from a snowboarding trip today to find an interview invitation from New York Medical College. I am in a very fortunate situation in that I have already been accepted to MCW (which I really liked) and I am on a couple of waiting lists for schools that I also really liked. I thought that I was done interviewing...

Should I go on the interview considering that it is far away? How do you think this school compares to MCW?

Members don't see this ad.

So I came back from a snowboarding trip today to find an interview invitation from New York Medical College. I am in a very fortunate situation in that I have already been accepted to MCW (which I really liked) and I am on a couple of waiting lists for schools that I also really liked. I thought that I was done interviewing...

Should I go on the interview considering that it is far away? How do you think this school compares to MCW?

As you may well know I like to speak highly of the only school that has accepted me :D. "Ugh, great it's Robizzle speaking for NYMC again..." But here's my honest opinion:

Do you want to learn and live in NYC or Milwaukee? I would think that's like comparing apples to oranges. MCW is probably ranked higher than NYMC, so if you want to go based on reputation go to MCW. However, I don't think either are in the top 50, and it's not like rank should be a significant deciding factor (unless you're talking like top 20 vs. unranked schools). You'll get a similar education no matter where you go... it all boils down to where you're happiest. If you really liked the feel of MCW as a school and area (I couldn't even tell you what type of state Wisconsin is like... I want to say farms and a lot of cheese, but that's just the ignorant New Yorker in me speaking), go to MCW because I doubt you'll get the same feel at NYMC.

Anyway, biggest perks for NYMC:

The school itself is in a peaceful grassy little area (Valhalla), but 3rd and 4th year rotations can be done in Manhattan, which is about 40 minutes away by car/train, and a lot of students end up moving to NYC. Check out the list of specific hospitals provided by Universe_Explorer here

Their match list is great: http://nymc.edu/admit/Medical/info/Match2006.asp

And their avg. Step I score is 225 while the national average is something like 215 I think? I'm sure MCW is also above the average as well.

And one of the biggest factors for me is that it's 30 min from my home :D ...

Find out more at the 2011 thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=352356

Good luck with your decision! Worst that can happen is you waste a couple hundred bucks flying out to figure out that the school is not for you. If you do go though, be sure to visit Manhattan because Valhalla is NOT where you'll be spending all your time all 4 years.