Advice needed:Old guy preparing for DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rmartinez

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay I would really like some people's thoughts on getting private tutoring vs. just studying my rear off for the DAT...

I don't want to take this thing twice, I don't want to regret not doing everything I could have to prepare for the test, and I really want to score well on all sections.

Now, I've been reading a bunch of your threads, which are really great by the way, and feel like I've got a good handle on just about everything besides Gen. Chem and Organic. I was a Bio major so I feel confident there, and the PAT I also feel comfortable with.

However.....I'm also 10 years out of college, working full-time while my beautiful and supportive wife takes care of our 4 kids while I spend the next month studying nights for this test. I never learned Chemistry well in college and so I'm really wondering whether I can prepare well enough with just these materials:

Kaplan BB
Topscore
Destroyer
ExamCrackers 1001 Chem. questions

Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions, particularly if anyone has actually paid for the private tutoring sessions from Kaplan.

I really do appreciate the atmosphere in this forum and have learned alot from you all, (esp. sama, orgodox, et. al) and hope I can provide some worthwhile feedback after I take my test to help anyone else in need.

Members don't see this ad.

I used those except examcracker. Destroyer helped me make a different in my science score. I think you good to go. But dont buy topscore until you done reviewing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kaplan BB is very good for the chemistry basics, and Destroyer is great to confirm that you really know your stuff. I would, however, recommend having a textbook on hand to complement the review books, in case you're having trouble with something and you need to read about it a little more in depth.

Martinez, I think you would be good to go with your materials. Everyones posting so far is dead on.
Rexdds: your PAT tutorial was friggin awesome!!! So Martinez, look at that.

I owe you all a big thanks because I didn't know that about topscore.

Everyone: IS CRACK DAT all that its "cracked" up to be before I spend $200.00?

Yes, CDP is very similar to the real thing. But do you really need the extra questions -- the 100 dollar package was more than enough for me. After a while you get sick of doing these practice tests...

I am also considering a tutor and posted regarding that issue, but didn't get any responses. Anyone use a tutor? What do you think Martinez?

I am also considering a tutor and posted regarding that issue, but didn't get any responses. Anyone use a tutor? What do you think Martinez?

I've spent hours on this forum reading well-informed advice from smart people about what they think is good to study from. the difference between the people on this forum and me, is that:
a. I haven't seen this stuff in 10 years
b. when i was in school, i wasn't near as smart as others here. so it's not apples to apples you see. Destroyer, Kaplan, Crack Dat, Topscore works for the people who have the intellectual base to start from, but for dummies like me, maybe it's not enough???

My stubborn nature makes me want to dig in my heels and forget kaplan but my wife is smarter than me so i learn to listen to her and at least try the damned thing. Can you tell I'm fighting this tooth and nail???

I think I am going to tell Kaplan I want to try it out for a night before I fully commit to the 15 hours of tutoring. then I can better evaluate the experience and decide what's right for me, at this time.

Thoughts?

Well if you have to start from square one, I'd suggest getting AP review books and going through those alongside your textbooks... that'll help you build a solid foundation for the sciences.

If possible, it would be best to take Gen Chem and Orgo at a community college or at a 4 year university. If you don't want to pay you can just sit in those classes since they are hugeeeee classes.

If you are not comfortable with chemistry and orgo at this point, I think couple of months will not be feasible for the DAT. Like you said, you want to avoid taking the thing twice so take your time in really learning the material instead of trying to memorize gzallion reactinos all at once.

Good foundation plays a huge role in scoring high scores on the DAT.

oh, as for destroyer and other things, they are useless unless you are good with the subjects to begin with. Memorizing hard questions will not get you anymore.

Good luck man!

I've spent hours on this forum reading well-informed advice from smart people about what they think is good to study from. the difference between the people on this forum and me, is that:
b. when i was in school, i wasn't near as smart as others here. so it's not apples to apples you see. Destroyer, Kaplan, Crack Dat, Topscore works for the people who have the intellectual base to start from, but for dummies like me, maybe it's not enough???

My stubborn nature makes me want to dig in my heels and forget kaplan but my wife is smarter than me so i learn to listen to her and at least try the damned thing. Can you tell I'm fighting this tooth and nail???

I think I am going to tell Kaplan I want to try it out for a night before I fully commit to the 15 hours of tutoring. then I can better evaluate the experience and decide what's right for me, at this time.

Thoughts?

I would not suggest reviewing through review books, especially, if you have not seen some material in such a long period of time. Get yourself a couple of full-length textbooks that students use in colleges and read through them start to end, do the problems. It will take a while... could be quite time consuming, but it is the best way. Especially for bio. After you are finished doing that, do reviews through (in chronological order):

1) DAT destroyer
2) Crack DAT PAT (5 test version worked for me)
3) DAT achiever
4) Whatever else you want + Reading comprehension review.
5) Could also get some Quantitative reasoning review.

I would also say that if you are dedicated enough to study by yourself - do that. Save the money and don't pay for Kaplan.

Thoughts?

I too am an untraditional student, I'm 28 and have 3 babies. I have been considering tutoring as the tutor is able to condense and communicate the basic concepts. I currently found a PhD student that tutors me a few hours a week, and this has been invaluable. I pay him much less than a Kaplan tutor and he is probably a lot better from what I am now learning. So I would suggest that you contact some chemsitry or biology PhD students at your local univeristy and try that out.

Hope that helps.

Also, if you dont mind me asking Martinez, why have you decided to change course? For me, it there are myriad reasons including, nature of work, schedule, pay, and my nrother is a 3rd year at OHSU and loves it.