advice needed on asking for LoR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letsgomedical

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am coming to the end of my third year of medical school and it's time for me get LoR for residency programs.
I have only recently decided that I want to go into Psych and I had psych rotation in December. Back then, I did not really consider psych and did not ask for recommendation letter from my attending.
I know that I will need at least one letter from from psych attending and I don't have another psych rotation until August.
Do you think it is appropriate for me to send an email when asking for recommendation letter? or should I visit the attending in person and ask for the recommendation letter?
I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I think I would send him or her an email explaining your situation (you need a letter but didn't know you'd need one back in December) and offer to meet with them at their convenience to answer any questions they might have.

Reactions: 1 user
In person 100% without a doubt. Make an appointment asap and take your CV and just talk with them about your interest, how much you liked the rotation and why you want to do psych as your career. Ask them if they feel like they could write you a good letter of recommendation for residency and provide them a copy of your CV. Every attending gets asked for letters; in truth, they expect it. Set up an appointment by email but definitely go sit down in person and talk. Great opportunity to ask about any research or other things going on in the department you could be a part of.

My email would read something like:

Dear Dr. ______

My name is <your name> and I was a third year student who rotated with you back in <month> and it was one of the highlights of my year. At the time I hadn't finished all of my clerkships and wasn't sure what I wanted to do, but now after finishing the year I've decided to pursue a residency in psychiatry. Do you have time available when I could come see you and talk about the residency application process and soliciting letters of recommendation?

Thank you,
<your name>

Reactions: 3 users