Advice needed on timing of applying and testing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bellos

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior at my state university and I will be graduating this spring. I haven't taken the DAT yet and my advisor thinks I will probably need to apply to post-bac programs because my GPA is a 3.2. I've done well in the past year with physics and ochem (A's in both) and hopefully that trend will continue this year, but those first two years killed my GPA. I don't want to apply to dental schools, get an inevitable rejection and then wait all year until I can get into a post bac program (fingers crossed), but I just don't know what to do with the timing of everything. My main concern is having a year where I am not in school as I'm told this is looked upon unfavorably. I should mention to that I am under the impression that you must first be rejected from a dental school before you can apply for a post bac program.

Has anybody else here been in this situation? I'd greatly appreciate some suggestions.

I haven't posted here before so I apologize if this breaks etiquette. I've been reading threads here for quite some time now, typically when I have a particular question that I need to find an answer to.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a senior at my state university and I will be graduating this spring. I haven't taken the DAT yet and my advisor thinks I will probably need to apply to post-bac programs because my GPA is a 3.2. I've done well in the past year with physics and ochem (A's in both) and hopefully that trend will continue this year, but those first two years killed my GPA. I don't want to apply to dental schools, get an inevitable rejection and then wait all year until I can get into a post bac program (fingers crossed), but I just don't know what to do with the timing of everything. My main concern is having a year where I am not in school as I'm told this is looked upon unfavorably. I should mention to that I am under the impression that you must first be rejected from a dental school before you can apply for a post bac program.

Has anybody else here been in this situation? I'd greatly appreciate some suggestions.

I haven't posted here before so I apologize if this breaks etiquette. I've been reading threads here for quite some time now, typically when I have a particular question that I need to find an answer to.

Welcome. I am in a similar situation as you except my GPA is even lower-go figure! No you do not have to get rejected from dental school to apply to post-baccs, but there are some special programs geared specifically towards people who have previously applied to dental school and failed.

There is a forum geared towards the DAT-I would take it soon as long as you know it won't expire by the time you apply.

Do some research on post-baccs as there are quite a few out there. You can do a formal one or an informal one through your school, which entails registering as a nondegree candidate and taking upper level biology classes.

There is no reason to rush into school-get your application as pristine as you can get it and apply with full force ONCE. I'm also going to be starting my senior year but am staying an extra semester or year to finish up/take more classes then most likely doing a post bacc or masters and applying the summer I feel most prepared. In other words...I won't be applying for 2-3 years.

Good luck!

I was in the same position and took 18 credits per semester and did well. got my GPA up and have about a 3.3. took the DAT and did well (21), and applied early. so far i have on interview. i would just rock the DAT over the summer and nerd it up your senior year. you dont need a postbac IMO and that stuff about being rejected is nonsense. they dont have any relation to eachother. also those advisors are typically donkeys. get a 4.0 this year, do >100 hours of shadowing, some EC's, and rock your DAT. now youre in dental school after your gap year. BTW the gap year is fine as long as you make it productive (job, traveling, volunteering, etc). the hardest part is working hard your senior year while others are partying, or at least for me it was..
GOOD LUCK :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the same position and took 18 credits per semester and did well. got my GPA up and have about a 3.3. took the DAT and did well (21), and applied early. so far i have on interview. i would just rock the DAT over the summer and nerd it up your senior year. you dont need a postbac IMO and that stuff about being rejected is nonsense. they dont have any relation to eachother. also those advisors are typically donkeys. get a 4.0 this year, do >100 hours of shadowing, some EC's, and rock your DAT. now youre in dental school after your gap year. BTW the gap year is fine as long as you make it productive (job, traveling, volunteering, etc). the hardest part is working hard your senior year while others are partying, or at least for me it was..

I agree w/ crax here.. GPA matters, but it's not everything. If you are able to beef up your app with a strong personal statement, ECs, volunteer hours, research (this and volunteering would be great ways to utilize your gap year), and great DAT scores, then you shouldn't have to do a post-bacc or master's program... especially if you do your research and apply to schools that may give GPA a little less weight in their application process. Just make sure that when you do apply, you apply early! Good luck!!

I'm not saying that he NEEDS to do a post bacc, but it's not a bad idea for a GAP year. With one more year, I don't think he could get his GPA much higher, so it wouldn't be a bad back up plan if the first application attempt fails.

But they are right- a 3.2/3.3 is not impossible to get into d school! but my 2.7 is just about lol even as a URM...i wouldn't even consider it

you should apply as early in the cycle and then submit your app and then take the dat (when you feel ready)

Your replies have been very helpful and informative. Crax summed up what my current situation is this semester, 19 credits, and I'm putting all of my energy into keeping A's. 3 Credits are undergrad research credit, I've been working in a genetics lab on campus for 1.5 years now and now I'm doing my own project. I'm hoping this sort of experience will look good, as well as the recommendation from the PI who is a Dean of the largest college on campus. I've got +30 hours shadowing, so it sounds like I have A LOT more to get in. From your comments it sounds like that year in-between applying and acceptance (If I'm luckier than satan) is unavoidable. I don't mind the idea of a post-bac program and I suppose I'll have to start looking at them a bit more. Creighton was the only program I saw that said you must first be rejected from a dental school, so far I haven't seen that as a requirement from any other program.

congratulations on your DAT score! What did you do to prepare and when did you begin? I've already begun my senior year and have not taken the DAT yet so I am trying to figure all of this out.

congratulations on your DAT score! What did you do to prepare and when did you begin? I've already begun my senior year and have not taken the DAT yet so I am trying to figure all of this out.

There is a forum geared towards the DAT-I would take it soon as long as you know it won't expire by the time you apply.

:thumbup:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=843708
Id agree with jack, head over to the DAT section of the forum and lurk that for a week or two. youll see alot of repetitive topics, questions, and breakdowns.
if you have any questions which arent answered about my DAT, just post on that thread i'd suggest