Advice needed please: Failed Step 1 + chances to match 2017

Started by dbsksweetz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dbsksweetz

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I would love to get some advice in regards to matching into neurology in this years upcoming cycle. I failed Step 1 and had a retake score of 206. I had to take time off to restudy for Step 1 + personal family issues, so it made me off-cycle and graduating in December this year instead of back in May. My step 2 CK was a 246. I have average grades in my med school class.

What are my chances to match into a good program? I am worried because of the programs that automatically filter out Step 1 first attempt failures. Is there a list of schools that automatically filter?

Thank you so much!
 
You should do some research and electives to strengthen your CV. Matching into a good program might not be easy without them. If you are from a top US med school and have a believable story for step 1 , u might make it ! good luck
 
1) Change your status from pre-med to med student.

2) I would advise taking some time off as well to get some research under your belt and do some rotations w/ neurologists who can write glowing letters of recommendation on your behalf.

3) You'll probably match if you are a US grad, but being realistic, it will be very difficult for you to get into one of those "brand name" programs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a friend this cycle whom was a MD, PhD student who got between 210 and 215 on step 1 and had a hard time getting interviews at good places.
I remember our program director gave us a talk before we applied and said that it is common for programs to use 220 as a cutoff.
Remember for neurology the average Step 1 score is around 230, so given this it is probably unlikely you will get into top tier or name brand program.
I would not rule out a university program, but I would also have realistic goals when applying.
 
Just to put it out there, my friend matched last year after failing and getting a similar low score. It wasn't a top program, but it was an academic program. He was also a US MD