Advice needed please.......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuriousPharmD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently started a hospital tech. job in June but I am really curious to what its like to work at a retail store as a tech. such as Walgreens since I have no prior retail experience. I wont be able to work as a retail tech. in the following summers since I will be doing rotations as part of the AGO program at Midwestern. I recently got provided names and phone numbers of local WAGS pharmacy managers from the local WAGS district mngr. that told me to contact them for any openings. Most likely, I would want to work at a retail store since the pay is better as a pharmacist, but recently I've heard hospitals have been getting competitive with pay, so that can be changing.
My options:
A. Call up WAGS and try and see if they will hire me every other weekend, since I will be already working every other weekend for the hospital during the school year and keep both jobs, which likely wont happen since they would want me to work when they needed me, not vice-versa (also, if it did happen, it will be hard since I've heard 2nd year is the tuffest)
B. Call up WAGS and quit my hospital job after only 2-4 months and burn that bridge, which makes me feel guilty since they provided so much training for me.
C. Continue to work at the hospital and just see how retail is when I do my rotations. Downside to this, is my salary and bonus be less since I didnt have any prior retail experience or is this false?
D. Any other suggestions?????

Members don't see this ad.

CuriousPharmD said:
I recently started a hospital tech. job in June but I am really curious to what its like to work at a retail store as a tech. such as Walgreens since I have no prior retail experience. I wont be able to work as a retail tech. in the following summers since I will be doing rotations as part of the AGO program at Midwestern. I recently got provided names and phone numbers of local WAGS pharmacy managers from the local WAGS district mngr. that told me to contact them for any openings. Most likely, I would want to work at a retail store since the pay is better as a pharmacist, but recently I've heard hospitals have been getting competitive with pay, so that can be changing.
My options:
A. Call up WAGS and try and see if they will hire me every other weekend, since I will be already working every other weekend for the hospital during the school year and keep both jobs, which likely wont happen since they would want me to work when they needed me, not vice-versa (also, if it did happen, it will be hard since I've heard 2nd year is the tuffest)
B. Call up WAGS and quit my hospital job after only 2-4 months and burn that bridge, which makes me feel guilty since they provided so much training for me.
C. Continue to work at the hospital and just see how retail is when I do my rotations. Downside to this, is my salary and bonus be less since I didnt have any prior retail experience or is this false?
D. Any other suggestions?????

Stick with the hospital and ask your manager to involve you in projects.

What are your hours like at the hospital? I'm currently working part time as a student at a hospital while also working every Saturday doing retail as an intern. Both of my employers are very flexible about my hours, so I still get a taste of what both are like and gives me some experience advantage during my rotations right now, as well as connections in both ends for possible future employers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sosumi said:
What are your hours like at the hospital? I'm currently working part time as a student at a hospital while also working every Saturday doing retail as an intern. Both of my employers are very flexible about my hours, so I still get a taste of what both are like and gives me some experience advantage during my rotations right now, as well as connections in both ends for possible future employers.

Right now for the summer, I am there M-F 7-3:30 am mostly and during the school year I will be working every other weekend.

Don't quit your hospital job. As far as Walgreens goes, they will hire any warm body that passes the boards. Seriously. Retail experience as a tech is absolutely unecessary. Any new pharmacy grad will start at the same salary and get the same bonus, it only varies by geographical location. However, if you have experience as a tech in retail pharmacy any techs you work with during rotations or even as a graduate intern, will be so grateful that you know what you're doing and know what's going on and be able to help out instead of standing around "observing" and getting in the way (we had 12 people in my pharmacy today! 12 people! and we only average ~400/day)