• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Summernight

7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
Hi everybody,
I ve been reading this awesome forum for a while, and finally I want to ask your opinion about my situation.
I am a 25 y.o. female, US citizen (now) with a foreign degree from Moscow State U, Russia, which was evaluated by ECE as a Masters degree in Biology/Mycology. I did a summer agricultural internship with U of Arkansas in 2009. I did some science research in the past. I have some volunteer hours. Aslo I am an active duty hospital corpsman in the Navy doing patient's care. I love my job, but I plan on becoming a medical officer one day. My GPA isn't that great (3.1, sGPA 3.1), so I think without improvement I can only apply for PA or DO or MPH programs (if so). Good thing that I can use my GI Bill or HPSP and ect. in order to pay for school.

I feel a little bit lost, wasting time, trying to find the best strategy, but I am not going to give up! My plan so far is to retake some of core courses in UCSD extension and/or CC, to score high on GRE, MCAT and apply next year. Does this sound realistic?

What else should I do in order to become a competitive applicant? What are my chances? Any advice?

Thank you! Have a good day! :)

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Hi everybody,
I ve been reading this awesome forum for a while, and finally I want to ask your opinion about my situation.
I am a 25 y.o. female, US citizen (now) with a foreign degree from Moscow State U, Russia, which was evaluated by ECE as a Masters degree in Biology/Mycology. I did a summer agricultural internship with U of Arkansas in 2009. I did some science research in the past. I have some volunteer hours. Aslo I am an active duty hospital corpsman in the Navy doing patient's care. I love my job, but I plan on becoming a medical officer one day. My GPA isn't that great (3.1, sGPA 3.1), so I think without improvement I can only apply for PA or DO or MPH programs (if so). Good thing that I can use my GI Bill or HPSP and ect. in order to pay for school.

I feel a little bit lost, wasting time, trying to find the best strategy, but I am not going to give up! My plan so far is to retake some of core courses in UCSD extension and/or CC, to score high on GRE, MCAT and apply next year. Does this sound realistic?

Even though your degree was evaluated as an Masters, most medical schools will require 90 undergraduate credits from a US school, a minority require only 30. Some will not accept overseas degrees. So you first need to take a breath, research the schools, validate what I have said above and see what you need to take.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.