Advice needed regarding LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dl9006

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an issue that I have been thinking about for a while now and was hoping for some advice.

Here's my situation.

I already submitted my application along with 3 professor LORs on july 31.

However, the third letter is probably generic and doesn't say much.
I had to reach a bit for the third letter...

The dentist that I have been shadowing is a great person and I think he would write me a great letter. I asked him for letter last week and he should be mailing it around now.

I know it's getting late in the application process but should I ask schools to wait for the dentist LOR before they start reviewing or should I just go with what I have now?

Is there much weight given to LORs when schools send out interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

I would go ahead and have the dentist submit the LOE. If you already indicated on your AADSAS application that you have a dental LOE, then schools will see that and will probably wait to see that LOE if they still haven't made a clear decision on your app. You also have to realize that some schools require a dental rec, so depending on which schools you applied to, they will wait to make a final decision on your app. Besides, I don't think LOEs really make or break your app, it's your GPA and DAT that they are mostly concerned about. You may even hear about interviews before your dental LOE even gets mailed, so I don't think you should worry too much.

ok thanks for your opinion.

forgot to mention that i have a dentist lor on my application

oh well...hope for the best i guess

best of luck for your application!