Advice needed - should I drop EMT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

statics

Reaction score
(please don't quote the post)

I enrolled in an EMT-B course this semester, which I have been completing while also applying to med schools. Working as an EMT was my backup plan if I needed to reapply, to boost my hours and strengthen my application. Fortunately, I have been accepted, and I don't want to continue investing time/money/effort when I will never use the certification.

However, I am reluctant to drop it for several reasons: I mentioned it (very briefly) in my interviews, and if a med school found out, it could look bad (like I can't even handle EMT training).

I did not list it anywhere on my application, and it is not a college course of any kind so it will not appear on my academic record.

Given this, I was hoping for answers to a couple questions - Should I drop the course? Is mentioning it in an interview considered a commitment? Would doing so look very bad to a med school? Would they even know?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have been to accepted to med school, that school is basically saying that they think (from ur gpa and mcat) you have what it takes to graduate medical school in 4 years, so dropping EMT won’t reflect poorly on your academic ability. I think if you’re no longer interested in it, go ahead in dropping it. It’s not like you lied in your interviews saying that you were a licensed flight paramedic who rescues polar bears threatened by global warming. I don’t think mentioning it is a commitment.

Reactions: 3 users
My take having been an EMT and now in med school: depending on how much time/effort is required, it might be worth it to go head and finish it. Even if you don’t work as an EMT, some of the things you learn/practice during training can give you a (small) leg up in med school. At least at my school, you actually get very little training in first aid/emergency response (at least until you do your EM rotation) so I think it can be helpful to have a little extra knowledge/understanding of that and the prehospital perspective.

I doubt the med school would ever know or care.

Reactions: 1 user