*Advice Needed* Undergraduate (?) for Physical Therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CCCXII

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before you guys send me to the GPA's, GRE's, Xtra's, Acceptance Thread/Some other Sticky Threads. Please hear me out.

I'm in somewhat in a dilemma, making an important choice for my future career, and would need your advice.

So, right of this moment I'm on my last semester of Community College with only 1 class remaining this semester, which means I'm applying to different Universities for my undergraduate, on my road to become a Physical Therapist. Through my 3 years here going to Community College, I managed to only just accumulate a GPA of 2.47 (not including the 4 crd course I'm taking now). You may wonder "But how?!", all I could tell you guys is that in that 3 years that I've been going to school, has been one of my lowest point/stressful time in my life. But I manage to pull myself back up, where right now, I'm more focused and dedicated.

Anyways, I would need your advice and answers to clarify some of my questions, since most of you guys seem to be more experienced/knowledgable in the subject.

As of right now, I'm currently deciding between Kinesiology v.s. Exercise Science as my Undergraduate.

- For you guys who already got the degree, technically speaking, what's the difference between the two?

- Also, since bumping up my GPA is my first priority as of this moment, which one do you guys think would be the best? Easiest in terms of classes? (I know there is no such thing as an "easy" class, but I'm willing to put my 100% effort and work)..

- Anyone suggest other Undergrad to for me to look at? to somewhat easily boost my GPA up before PT School ?

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

There are a lot of threads focused on raising low GPA, which is probably why nobody has responded so far. There are also threads about which major people should pick for PT school, but not specifically Kines vs. Ex Science, unless I missed something.

PT schools don't care about your specific major, and would definitely would not favor one over the other if they are really similar like those two. They want you to have a high GPA and to have taken the Pre-req classes with as many A's as possible, so the major doesn't matter. It might be helpful to look at the classes required by each major and decide which might be easier for you.

I don't have any advice other than what's been given for the past several years, but searching will answer most of your questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
your major does not matter. GPA and GRE matter more than just about anything.

Reactions: 1 users
Neither major is going to be particularly easier, nor do you need to be one of these majors if you are pre-PT.

By biggest piece of advice would be this: you will need to get straight A's in all of your PT pre-requisite science classes if you hope to get in with the cGPA you already have. If you do this and also make A's in the rest of your college work your cGPA will be solidly above 3.0, making you at least eligible to apply to all schools and competitive at many. A strong GRE score and widely varied observation hours, coupled with strong LORs that can speak honestly about your academic potential and a good essay that explains your poor grades without making excuses will also all be needed.

There are many, many threads on what to do about bad grades/low GPA. Lots of advice is out there available for your use. You've come to the right place. :)

From this point forward you just have to be a straight A student. Nothing else will suffice, and nothing else will make up for failure in this regard. Picking an "easy" major or an "easy" school is not going to solve your problem.

Last edited:
technically speaking, what's the difference between the two?

They are different disciplines. It's like asking what is the difference between studying biology and organic chemistry. There is plenty of overlap, but they are different fields of study.

Per wikipedia:

Exercise science "is the study of the acute responses and chronic adaptations to a wide range of physical exercise conditions. In addition, many exercise physiologists study the effect of exercise on pathology, and the mechanisms by which exercise can reduce or reverse disease progression."

Kinesiology is "the scientific study of human movement. Kinesiology addresses physiological, mechanical, and psychological mechanisms."

Google is your friend, my friend.

Make sure that your grades are your number one priority from this point forward. Don't allow anything to stop you no matter what. Two years ago my mother was is a car accident and was in coma for the entire spring semester. The accident ended up bring fatal. I took my books to the hospital everyday after school and work and studied by her bedside. I still managed three A's and a B. That was a kick in the family jewels to say the least. However, you have to find a way to get those A's. When you need to know X Y and Z make sure you know it no matter what. Nothing worth having is ever easy. When you're down find that motivation somewhere. I used to watch "Pursuit of Happiness" every chance I got. Sounds goofy, but it worked for me. Then again, I listen to the Rocky theme music when I work out :)

Thanks a lot for the helpful responses, ^ Same here my mother got sick (Kidney Cancer) two years ago, since then I can't focus much on my studies, good thing she's fine now.

I'm more dedicated than ever before, since this incoming years will determine where I really want to be at in life. That's also one of the reasons why I joined this site last night, to motivate me more to do well in my studies. I'm guessing after this summer, party times over, it's time to finally do work!