Advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baysiderny

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need help with this issue....
Lets say I interview out of match for a fellowship position and get the spot. I sign the contract and then few months later another great opportunity comes by where I get a better fellowship position/field, can I just excuse myself out of the first program without any consequences? Remember this is out of match.

Members don't see this ad.

This happens all too frequently for fellowships in my field because many don't use a match. Typically, someone accepts a position at their home program, but continues to shop around for something more desirable. Sometimes there are legitimate personal circumstances that require a change. Either way, in those instances there are no legal consequences to my knowledge, but obviously you've burned bridges.

Lets say I interview out of match for a fellowship position and get the spot. I sign the contract and then few months later another great opportunity comes by where I get a better fellowship position/field, can I just excuse myself out of the first program without any consequences? Remember this is out of match.

Even if it were "within the match", you aren't required to stay for the entire year.

But there's no such thing as "no consequences".

I know it happens lots of times in pathology fellowship. Often times the program expects the person not to oblige the contract. However, there are always consequences eg. forget about getting a job there in the future. Remember a (wo)man is only as good as his/her word.

OP aren't you the person who posted about your husband being fired or resigning from a fellowship?

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

Yes, and fortunately it wasn't the end of it. He still got some good fellowship offers.
Ok so he got offered a really good spot for a less competitive fellowship but he is interested in the competitive fellowship he had to leave. He has a good chance in another program. Wondering now what if he signs the less desirable fellowship but gets an offer later on in the field he really wants to get in? What if he doesn't even start at the less desirable fellowship?

Reputation matters. If your husband reneges on a residency that agrees to take him, there will be two fellowship programs in one speciality which will have a questionmark or worse against his name. Depending on how big the specialty is, that questionmark could spread quite widely. Remember, if your husband is to be in this specialty for the next 30 years, that is a lot of people in that specialty to come into contact with over a long period of time. How many people does he want to have to avoid at conferences for the next 30 years?

Reactions: 1 user
This happens all too frequently for fellowships in my field because many don't use a match. Typically, someone accepts a position at their home program, but continues to shop around for something more desirable. Sometimes there are legitimate personal circumstances that require a change. Either way, in those instances there are no legal consequences to my knowledge, but obviously you've burned bridges.
Well, any time you breach a contract there are "legal consequences". But it's rare you can't be quickly replaced, so no program tends to ever have damages worth suing over.