Advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irishnerd26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm currently a first semester sophomore at a small school in Boston. Trying to figure out how I can make my next two years in school. Here are my facts:
White Female
Majoring in Biology with a minor in Chem
Current GPA: 3.601
Science GPA: 3.22 (I know it's low, deciding whether or not to retake orgo because I got a B-)
Currently have a full-ride to my school, plus a stipend each year for whatever I choose

Interned with Disney for Fall Semester of 2013 - heavily trained in customer service

Volunteering at Boston Children's Hospital 1.5 years
Medical Career Education Program at Brigham and Women's (volunteering/shadowing) which, upon completion will give me 160+ hours
Shadowed an ER Doctor (who I plan on shadowing more) currently 12 hours

Participated last year in the Dance Company at my school

Waiting to hear back from summer research program opportunities, otherwise I will be taking classes

Looking to help myself in the best way possible, what do you suggest? I'm open to anything :)
Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

GPA is the key. Work on increasing your overall GPA and especially your science GPA. It is not necessary to take difficult science courses, just ones that you believe you will get good grades in.

Also, you will be taking the new MCAT. You will need to take a Biochemistry course since there will be some biochemistry on the new MCAT. There is also new social sciences section, so introductory Psychology and Sociology courses will be helpful. If you plan to apply to medical school at the end of your junior year take the MCAT no later than June. There are several good review books for the different MCAT sections as well as review courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Star acing the science courses and you should be fine. Don't bother retaking a B-.

Hi everyone,
I'm currently a first semester sophomore at a small school in Boston. Trying to figure out how I can make my next two years in school. Here are my facts:
White Female
Majoring in Biology with a minor in Chem
Current GPA: 3.601
Science GPA: 3.22 (I know it's low, deciding whether or not to retake orgo because I got a B-)
Currently have a full-ride to my school, plus a stipend each year for whatever I choose

Interned with Disney for Fall Semester of 2013 - heavily trained in customer service

Volunteering at Boston Children's Hospital 1.5 years
Medical Career Education Program at Brigham and Women's (volunteering/shadowing) which, upon completion will give me 160+ hours
Shadowed an ER Doctor (who I plan on shadowing more) currently 12 hours

Participated last year in the Dance Company at my school

Waiting to hear back from summer research program opportunities, otherwise I will be taking classes

Looking to help myself in the best way possible, what do you suggest? I'm open to anything :)
Thanks a bunch!

GPA is the key. Work on increasing your overall GPA and especially your science GPA. It is not necessary to take difficult science courses, just ones that you believe you will get good grades in.
Also, you will be taking the new MCAT. You will need to take a Biochemistry course since there will be some biochemistry on the new MCAT. There is also new social sciences section, so introductory Psychology and Sociology courses will be helpful. If you plan to apply to medical school at the end of your junior year take the MCAT no later than June. There are several good review books for the different MCAT sections as well as review courses.

I've been working really hard to increase my GPA. I think that will be promising this semester. I am taking Biochemistry in the fall and Intro to Psychology this summer. I have already taken Intro to Sociology. Thank you for all of your advice!

Star acing the science courses and you should be fine. Don't bother retaking a B-.

That's my plan! Thanks :)