Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

JJMarkar

Hello SDN,

I am a new poster who is in somewhat of a jam. I am a current pre-med student majoring in molecular biology. I transferred to a top UC in California with a 3.57 GPA from my community college. I will be graduating June 2015 with a GPA ranging from a 3.3-3.4. I have not taken the MCAT yet and I know that I am too late in order to meet the June 1 deadline for medical school applications for the 2016 admittance. My plan is to apply to a Post-bacc program for one year and raise my GPA. In addition, I will be studying for the MCAT and shoot for a 33-34. I will then apply June 1 of 2016 for the 2017 admittance. I feel like I have a good plan, but I really wanted some suggestions and advice as to what some of you may do in my situation. Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks SDN!

Members don't see this ad.

This is all personal preference. Do you want to stay in CA? What part of CA are you living in? Do you speak Spanish? If you wanna stay in CA, you will need a 3.8+ GPA and at least a 35 MCAT to be competitive.

If you don't care, become a Texas resident. Thank me later.

Your timeline is really messed up btw.

You can apply starting in June for 2016 matriculation. Im not sure where this "deadline" you speak of is coming from.

The mcat is also changing after January. But that obviously needs to be a priority, study for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello SDN,

I am a new poster who is in somewhat of a jam. I am a current pre-med student majoring in molecular biology. I transferred to a top UC in California with a 3.57 GPA from my community college. I will be graduating June 2015 with a GPA ranging from a 3.3-3.4. I have not taken the MCAT yet and I know that I am too late in order to meet the June 1 deadline for medical school applications for the 2016 admittance. My plan is to apply to a Post-bacc program for one year and raise my GPA. In addition, I will be studying for the MCAT and shoot for a 33-34. I will then apply June 1 of 2016 for the 2017 admittance. I feel like I have a good plan, but I really wanted some suggestions and advice as to what some of you may do in my situation. Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks SDN!

I'm not sure what you mean by the "June 1 deadline for... 2016 admittance". MCATs are administered at all times of the year, and scores are available a month after the test is taken. If you want to apply next year in June, you can take the test as late as May 2015. Most testing dates are full if you want to take the old MCAT test. The newer, longer MCAT is administered starting in February 2015, and there are probably plenty of slots available. Your GPA is kinda/sorta low, so a good MCAT score would help a great deal.

Hello SDN,

Thanks SDN!

If I were in your situation I'd obv take care of the academics and MCAT and then worry about getting good hands-on clinical experience. If I were you, I wouldn't spend the $$ on a formal post-bacc. But then again, I don't really have the money to do that.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. Sorry I probably wasn't clear. I meant to say that June 1 is the first day for applications but I feel as though I wouldn't have the time to properly prepare for the MCAT as well as take it and apply this year. As previously advised, I know my GPA is not very high and I really want to work on it. My extracurriculars are good, but I feel as though that is all I have right now. I want to bring my GPA up and kill the MCAT. I know the MCAT is changing, and I wouldn't mind taking the new one. I guess what my real question is whether or not I should apply to a Post-Bacc program to raise my GPA and be more competitive GPA wise. I do not mind moving away for medical school, but that also depends on where I get accepted. I am not spanish-speaking either. I want to apply next year, as well as become more competitive.

Thanks again!