Advice Needed

Started by carolinev
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

carolinev

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

I'm in a little bit of a rut about what to do during my year off. After taking the OAT this year, I did not get high enough scores to get accepted into the schools I wanted. My obvious move was to take a year off after graduation this May, and to re-apply this summer.

I'm having a hard time coming up with things to do during this time off. Really, I don't have much time to improve my application as it will need to be submitted in early July. May-July will be spent studying for the OAT, as that is my main priority right now.

Is it possible to strengthen my application during the summer before applying? What should I do?
 
Hey all,

I'm in a little bit of a rut about what to do during my year off. After taking the OAT this year, I did not get high enough scores to get accepted into the schools I wanted. My obvious move was to take a year off after graduation this May, and to re-apply this summer.

I'm having a hard time coming up with things to do during this time off. Really, I don't have much time to improve my application as it will need to be submitted in early July. May-July will be spent studying for the OAT, as that is my main priority right now.

Is it possible to strengthen my application during the summer before applying? What should I do?
Shadow some more optometrists if you can even for few hours.
 
I also had to take a year off between school. During my time off I retook the oat and continued to work in an optical office to gain more experience so I would be sure to shadow if I were you . I also went on an optical mission to Peru which may not be an option for you but I woould suggest getting involved in your community doing volunteer work even if it's not optical. I think it's really important to show your still dedicated to optometry even though you had to take time off.
 
I also did take a year off too. I got a job as optometric assistant and shadow some OD and MD. I took my OAT first time this January so you know I am not early applicant. I think you should find a job, take time to study for your oat. You don't need to take it in July if you not ready.