Advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wounded Healer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG, I've applied psych residency this year. I am rejected for a visa that means I can't come to US to have an interview which automatically makes me ineligible for the match process...I had a few interviews and step3 exam, but those didn't help to get a visa. I feel so down and hopeless. Any suggestion or insight for my career that i can do outside the US for couple of years until these visa restrictions ends? Oh-btw having a residency in my home country is not an option due to politics. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, the longer you are out of medical school, the harder it is to get accepted into residency. If you can’t get a visa, I would start looking into continuing medicine in another country.

Unfortunately, the longer you are out of medical school, the harder it is to get accepted into residency. If you can’t get a visa, I would start looking into continuing medicine in another country.
Is this true? I am an anesthesiologist who wants to go back to do a psych residency.

Members don't see this ad :)

I have graduated in 2015,Not even a fresh grad:( What if I do some research or observerships outside the US until I can return to the US in few years? Is it still unlikely to get into residency in the US? I don't have the energy to have another set of exams like USMLE's in other countries. I really want to return to US, eventually. What advice you can give me to do to enrich my CV until the time I can return? Thanks!