Advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cell Nucleus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a pre-med student in my gap year and first application cycle. I have been waitlisted at one med school and have interviews at another 2 medical schools. I also haven't heard back from an additional 10 medical schools. I am currently trying to decide what to do with my time to improve my application for next year if I don't get in this year.

My Stats:
MCAT 512+
GPA: 3.64
Science GPA: 3.42
Shadowed a family doctor for 120+ hours, volunteered at an hospital for 90+ hours and volunteered at my community center for 120+ hours. Also worked part-time for 2+ years. No research or leadership experience.

I worked as a part-time medical scribe during the fall semester of my gap year for 230+ hours. Scribe for ED first and then moved to oncologists for the bulk of my time as a scribe. My scribe company lost a hospital contract so they don't have enough positions for all of us. I am still part of the company and I was told that whenever they have any part time positions open they will let me know. They also gave me an opportunity to work full-time but I cannot make that commitment because I am also doing two 4 hour shifts of volunteering at another hospital where I get to see surgeries. I will also be shadowing a pediatrician weekly starting soon.

So here is where I need advice. My science GPA is obviously low. I signed up for 2 neuroscience courses at my college as post-bacc. But I am not sure if I should take them or how much they will help my application for next year if I don't get in this year. I don't mind taking the courses but I think other aspects of my application can also use an improvement and the science courses are costing me 3300 dollars. The payment deadline is Jan 23rd. Should I take these neuroscience courses or should I get a part-time job as a medical scribe with another company? Finding a job isn't a guarantee either. I don't have much time to decide.

Members don't see this ad.

Would you be able to afford applying again with a larger school list this upcoming cycle? Would you be willing to take a gap year and apply the cycle thereafter?

Also, can you please post your school list

I think the volunteering side of your app is on the weak side. It’s not bad, but nothing you’ve told us so far screams unique - it’s all somewhat cookie cutter.

I’m confused as to why you can’t work full time and volunteer. From what you’ve said, that would be 48 hours/week total. That’s nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the volunteering side of your app is on the weak side. It’s not bad, but nothing you’ve told us so far screams unique - it’s all somewhat cookie cutter.

I’m confused as to why you can’t work full time and volunteer. From what you’ve said, that would be 48 hours/week total. That’s nothing in the grand scheme of things.
I can but finding something that would work with my schedule would be hard. I volunteer 8AM - 12PM on Thursdays and 12PM - 4PM on Fridays.

Three interviews is pretty good! Hopefully you get in this cycle, if not I think you can continue your work/ volunteering and submit another app for 2019 to more schools

What experiences do you have that are unique? Your app seems kind of box-checky. Three interviews means there isn’t much wrong with your app. Medical school Admissions is very competitive, and it might just come down to other candidates fitting school missions better than you.