Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by Koci, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Koci

Pre-Medical
    I have a cumulative gpa of 3.3 and i did bad on my Mcat (484) , i only applied to MD schools.

I do not feel ready to retake the Mcat for these years so maybe in the future i will reapply.

Looking for advice for an alternative career, i have gotten a few suggestions for DO or Podriatic, or Physician assistant or nurse practitioner, also pharmacy?

I do not want to spend my next 3 years waiting to get into MD so i want to start an alternative career and see how it goes and maybe in the future i can still retry the MD.
    Looking for suggestion for something that is less competitive and that i can start in Fall 2018 without losing to much time?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Magus5454

Medical Student
    PA you need the clinical hours for, that MCAT isn't even in the ballpark for DO, others with have to comment on the DPM, pharm has its own test.

4. Goro

Faculty

Non-Student
    With a 484, you're not getting into DO schools either.

I suggest one of the allied health professions.

Koci, akuko2, frosted2 and 1 other person like this.
  5. GypsyHummus

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    The lowest MCAT I have ever seen a student have and matriculate into a podiatry school was a 13, which I think is a 482 on the new scale. This was at Barry, which not surprisingly, has the lowest board pass rates of all DPM programs out there. This person prolly also had a big GPA to compensate.

Realistically, to get to Pod school, you need a 3.0 and 490 MCAT. Can you get into a program with a 484? Maybe. If you had a 3.8 GPA, it would be more plausible. Most of the bottom tier schools have a cuttoff around 488.

I recommend looking at the lower tier pod schools, calling them up to see if they will take a look at you. Pod schools are hurting for applicants right now (no one wants to be a foot doctor lol).

Also, take the OAT and DAT. They are both easier than the MCAT.

Koci likes this.
  6. restndigest92

Pre-Medical
    I suggest that you contact a few Pod schools as well! Your gpa is great for pod schools, so it may even balance out that subpar MCAT. I don't think Pod schools have an mcat cutoff.
    The shortage of pod applications is real!

GypsyHummus likes this.
  7. restndigest92

Pre-Medical
    Random question: @GypsyHummus, are there pod schools that put more emphasis on MCAT scores over GPA? I know that some DO schools definitely do, but wasn't sure for pod.

8. GypsyHummus

Yes. Temple and AZPOD both like really high MCAT scores. All pods like high GPA

9. restndigest92

Pre-Medical
    Is it just me or have you noticed that pod schools GPA averages have remained at a constant or are dropping (Barry, Western). But now more pod schools have MCAT averages in high 490's range and a few have hit the 500 mark(Temple, NYCPM, AZPOD).

10. GypsyHummus

You are correct. There has been a application shortage over the last couple years, so bigger classes are scrambling to fill their 100+ spots, including people who maybe shouldn’t go to medica school.

The flip side of this is that while the number of applicants has decreased, the quality of applicants has increased. There are people with 510s getting into podiatry school and picking it over DO as they learn just what exactly a pod is. The noticeable effect of this is that the top schools of podiatry (AZPOD, DMU, Western) have some really top students, and that is reflected in board scores (DMU has 1st time pass rates in the 90s, AZPOD had a 100% pass rate this year).

I’d say overall it’s a net positive for the profession, even though all the big schools right now see is the negative. It will be in 7+ years when pods will start seeing the effects of the strongest students pushing the profession forward, right now schools are scrambling and asking why apps are down. I think it is a good thing: 1) it prevents the problem of over saturation (pods work for a long time, it’s generally enjoyable work) and 2) it will help when it comes time to residency.

Back from 2011-2014 there was a residency crises, where pod schools overaccetped applicants and did not increase residency numbers (sound familiar DO school?) now there is just barley a surplus of spots. Having less applicants in the pool will be better for everyone.

#9 GypsyHummus, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    WIMNFamilyMed and restndigest92 like this.
  11. restndigest92

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the inside scoop! Don't mean to come off as a stalker, but are you currently in a post-bacc program? I thought I saw your post in another thread. I am planning to apply to pod schools and a few DO post-baccs,once I receive my January MCAT score.

#10 restndigest92, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  12. Koci

Pre-Medical
    I was thinking instead of waiting one year or two depending if i get accepted into MD, i can start a Master degree in one of the med schools that i want to get in, which will help me get more knowledge because the classes are similar to the first year MD program. During the time i am doing my master and gain a stronger knowledge i can reapply for MD and they might give me an advantage to get accepted since i will do the masters on their school. I was thinking either Tufts or BU, they both have a masters program that helps students get accepted into MD. The only negative side is that i will lose 50k and once accepted in MD the master program will be more in the shadow, but i would still get the knowledge and will help me though MD and at the same time if i don't get accepted i would still end up with a Masters degree instead of just waiting and reapplying hoping to get in MD.

13. Mr. D.O.five

Medical Student
    Come on man, be realistic with yourself. You are thinking way too much about "if this and if that." Focus on the present. You will NOT get accepted to any grad program that requires an MCAT, so don't put this stuff in your head saying "once I get accepted to this, or that" because you are only deluding yourself.
    Here's what you need to do academically:
    - Take UNDERGRAD classes to show your competency
    - If you are dead set on medical or pod, study for the MCAT hardcore for 4 months, don't work at all
    - If your MCAT score is still subpar (i'm talking like slightly below 500), then try and get into a DO-affiliated masters program or allied health masters w/ linkage (MD-affiliated programs mostly likely will not take you with a sub-500)
    - then apply to the program you want to do

This whole process will take years, because you don't want to rush your application like you did last time and come out with a crappy cycle.

Koci and sab3156 like this.
  14. sab3156

Medical Student
    I did the BUSM SMP. It is hard. You will fail out, no question (assuming you use the same study habits that got you a 484). Don't even bother. A 484 MCAT is the lowest score I have ever heard of. The fact that you applied to MD schools with that MCAT is concerning, and demonstrates a serious lack of judgement.

Your only real hope to get into medical school is to retake the MCAT (as said above), and crush it. Maybe begin by asking on the MCAT subforum about how to do well. I recommend using Berkeley Review. It served me well.

After that, you can apply DO and probably get some attention. MD schools are probably tough unless you crush a post-bacc or SMP.

#13 sab3156, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    drdpmn likes this.
  15. Isoval

Isoval Studying. Badly.

Medical Student (Accepted)
    1) You are currently dead to DO and MD schools. You have an almost 0.0% chance of getting into any program on either side.
    2) You are circling the drain for DPM, and your GPA is not going to do you any favors for most allied health professions.

The first thing you need to fix is that MCAT. Period. End of discussion. How you remedy that - whether you return to undergraduate classes to retake MCAT-heavy classes, take an intensive prep course, or whatever - is up to you, but your 484 will get you exactly nowhere. I would say that, for you to even be considered at most programs, you’re going to need in the 506+ range for DO and 514+ range for MD. The lower tier ones. Your score is so abysmally bad that the only thing that can save you is another much better score.

From your current predicament, we can blame the reverse halo effect on this, but I would hazard a guess that the rest of your application is also subpar. I think you have a long, long, long time before you ever set foot on a medical school campus as a student, or even an interviewee for that matter.

Your situation is far from ideal.

frosted2 likes this.
  16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Koci

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the reply guys. I will not reapply with that MCAT but i have already submitted applications for a Masters degree that will help me improve my application, grades, and retake the MCAt. Talking about reapplying after 2 years when i am better prepared.

It seems like if i choose to do the PA program i will still take courses related to medicine and that will also increase my chances of getting accepted into MD if i decide to in the future. The PA kind of includes the purpose of the Masters program by increasing my chances for MD because i will take related courses as well, but it also gives me an extra chance in case i do not get accepted into MD i can continue my career as a PA.

I believe in the situation that i do not get accepted into an MD after finishing my Master program i will end up with an MBS instead if i try the PA path i will end up with a PA, which i believe is much better as a career than the MBS if no further MD education is continued?

I know the PA has a different purpose but it seems like i can still apply for MD after the PA and my chances of getting accepted will be almost similar to the ones if i would have when i apply after the MBS ?

I know i might not get accepted even on this programs with my gpa but trying doesn't cost me anything besides the 100$ application fee.

Thank you.
    Hakid

18. Koci

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the reply, i did not decide to apply for MD after knowing my score. I submitted my application before getting the score due to the limited time that i had, and my intentions on getting accepted were low i applied mostly to learn quicker abut the process rather then trying to get accepted. My application was done at the end of my junior year and all the research and application and studying was done i a month period of time. So i knew i did not have a chance but trying never hurt nobody, that's how i learned all the needed information in a short time and i can reapply in the future when i am ready. I have also applied to the Medical science at bu and tufts MBS program. Please see my reply below and let me know your thought on that.

19. Koci

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the reply, you are right but trying doesn't hurt me, it just helps me learn and improve. See my comment below on the MBS or PA please and let me know your thoughts.

20. Koci

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the reply, i will definitely retake the Mcat before i decide to apply again

21. Koci

Pre-Medical
    I will retake the MCAT and reapply in the future but i also don't wanna wait and prepare for it not knowing it will be something secure. I am thinking to start a graduate program (if i get accepted) and retry MD after a year so even if i do not get accepted i will still have my graduate program instead of just waiting. See my comment below and let me know your thoughts. Thanks

22. Koci

Pre-Medical
    See my comment below please and let me know your thoughts. Thanks

23. Koci

Pre-Medical
    See my comment below please and let me know your thoughts. Thanks

24. sab3156

Medical Student
    Do not do any masters or postbacc until you get a good MCAT score. If you find out that you can't do better, your masters or postbacc will just be a massive waste of money.

And you applied just to learn about applying? Wow... really, you need to think and plan ahead. No more mistakes from now on. If you are unsure about something, you need to ask - don't just do whatever you feel like.

GypsyHummus and Koci like this.
  25. GypsyHummus

What would you like my thoughts on?

26. Koci

Pre-Medical
    If i find out that I can't do better, at least i will have a masters degree . Instead If i find out that i can't do better without trying for a graduate program i will still fail and end up without a masters nor MD. The Money is not wasted i will have an MS. If i fail the MS yes that a different story but still worth to try i guess. Did you do the Masters and prepared for the MD application at the same time?

27. Koci

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the reply guys. I will not reapply with that MCAT but i have already submitted applications for a Masters degree that will help me improve my application, grades, and retake the MCAt. Talking about reapplying after 2 years when i am better prepared.

It seems like if i choose to do the PA program i will still take courses related to medicine and that will also increase my chances of getting accepted into MD if i decide to in the future. The PA kind of includes the purpose of the Masters program by increasing my chances for MD because i will take related courses as well, but it also gives me an extra chance in case i do not get accepted into MD i can continue my career as a PA.

I believe in the situation that i do not get accepted into an MD after finishing my Master program i will end up with an MBS instead if i try the PA path i will end up with a PA, which i believe is much better as a career than the MBS if no further MD education is continued?

I know the PA has a different purpose but it seems like i can still apply for MD after the PA and my chances of getting accepted will be almost similar to the ones if i would have when i apply after the MBS ?

I know i might not get accepted even on this programs with my gpa but trying doesn't cost me anything besides the 100$ application fee.

Thank you.
    Hakid

28. carebear204

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Have you thought about an AmeriCorps position within the public health field? You could also try applying for an MPH (typically applications are open well into the summer, most programs require a GRE score though), or working within the medical field (as a scribe or at a non-profit organization that does screenings or something health-related). If your dream is to become a doctor, I'd work on building up your resume with experiences that show your interest in medicine. You have to apply and take entrance exams for all of the professions you listed above, so you wouldn't be able to start any of those in the fall unless you seriously start studying and applying now (if it's not too late to apply). I'd recommend taking a step back, and really thinking about what you want. In my opinion, "waiting" to get into MD for 3 years isn't really waiting - you're not just sitting around waiting to get an acceptance - you have to work at it and fill your time with experiences that will make you a well-rounded candidate. This is technically my third "gap year" since I graduated college. I did not intend to "wait" that long before going to medical school, but I also didn't just sit around and do nothing or change my career plans- I did a service year, volunteered, worked, and re-took the MCAT (which I also dreaded, but ended up doing fantastic because I actually took it seriously). All of these things I did because I knew they would help me get closer to my dream. Success comes from failure, so don't give up. Take a step back and try to figure out what you're truly passionate about. Then, work toward that goal. Hope this helps!

Koci likes this.