SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by Koci, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Koci

Koci

Dec 26, 2016
    Boston
    I have a cumulative gpa of 3.3 and i did bad on my Mcat (484) , i only applied to MD schools.

I do not feel ready to retake the Mcat for these years so maybe in the future i will reapply.

Looking for advice for an alternative career, i have gotten a few suggestions for DO or Podriatic, or Physician assistant or nurse practitioner, also pharmacy?

I do not want to spend my next 3 years waiting to get into MD so i want to start an alternative career and see how it goes and maybe in the future i can still retry the MD.
    Looking for suggestion for something that is less competitive and that i can start in Fall 2018 without losing to much time?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Magus5454

Magus5454 2+ Year Member

Feb 23, 2015
    PA you need the clinical hours for, that MCAT isn't even in the ballpark for DO, others with have to comment on the DPM, pharm has its own test.

4. Goro

Goro Faculty 7+ Year Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Somewhere west of St. Louis
    With a 484, you're not getting into DO schools either.

I suggest one of the allied health professions.

akuko2, frosted2 and GypsyHummus like this.
  5. GypsyHummus

GypsyHummus 5+ Year Member

Jun 12, 2011
    The lowest MCAT I have ever seen a student have and matriculate into a podiatry school was a 13, which I think is a 482 on the new scale. This was at Barry, which not surprisingly, has the lowest board pass rates of all DPM programs out there. This person prolly also had a big GPA to compensate.

Realistically, to get to Pod school, you need a 3.0 and 490 MCAT. Can you get into a program with a 484? Maybe. If you had a 3.8 GPA, it would be more plausible. Most of the bottom tier schools have a cuttoff around 488.

I recommend looking at the lower tier pod schools, calling them up to see if they will take a look at you. Pod schools are hurting for applicants right now (no one wants to be a foot doctor lol).

Also, take the OAT and DAT. They are both easier than the MCAT.

6. restndigest92

restndigest92

Aug 3, 2017
    I suggest that you contact a few Pod schools as well! Your gpa is great for pod schools, so it may even balance out that subpar MCAT. I don't think Pod schools have an mcat cutoff.
    The shortage of pod applications is real!

GypsyHummus likes this.
  7. restndigest92

restndigest92

Aug 3, 2017
    Random question: @GypsyHummus, are there pod schools that put more emphasis on MCAT scores over GPA? I know that some DO schools definitely do, but wasn't sure for pod.

8. GypsyHummus

Jun 12, 2011
    Yes. Temple and AZPOD both like really high MCAT scores. All pods like high GPA

9. restndigest92

restndigest92

Aug 3, 2017
    Is it just me or have you noticed that pod schools GPA averages have remained at a constant or are dropping (Barry, Western). But now more pod schools have MCAT averages in high 490's range and a few have hit the 500 mark(Temple, NYCPM, AZPOD).

10. GypsyHummus

Jun 12, 2011
    You are correct. There has been a application shortage over the last couple years, so bigger classes are scrambling to fill their 100+ spots, including people who maybe shouldn’t go to medica school.

The flip side of this is that while the number of applicants has increased, the quality of applicants has increased. There are people with 510s getting into podiatry school and picking it over DO as they learn just what exactly a pod is. The noticeable effect of this is that the top schools of podiatry (AZPOD, DMU, Western) have some really top students, and that is reflected in board scores (DMU has 1st time pass rates in the 90s, AZPOD had a 100% pass rate this year).

I’d say overall it’s a net positive for the profession, even though all the big schools right now see is the negative. It will be in 7+ years when pods will start seeing the effects of the strongest students pushing the profession forward, right now schools are scrambling and asking why apps are down. I think it is a good thing: 1) it prevents the problem of over saturation (pods work for a long time, it’s generally enjoyable work) and 2) it will help when it comes time to residency.

Back from 2011-2014 there was a residency crises, where pod schools overaccetped applicants and did not increase residency numbers (sound familiar DO school?) now there is just barley a surplus of spots. Having less applicants in the pool will be better for everyone.

restndigest92 likes this.
  11. restndigest92

restndigest92

Aug 3, 2017
    Thanks for the inside scoop! Don't mean to come off as a stalker, but are you currently in a post-bacc program? I thought I saw your post in another thread. I am planning to apply to pod schools and a few DO post-baccs,once I receive my January MCAT score.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018 at 5:05 PM