Advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BazingaHero

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Need advice regarding using a question bank for step 3 prep.

Early 2018:

- Completed UW question bank twice + incorrects + marked = scored around 58% and 70%.
- Created UW question flashcards (wrote way too much)
- Real deal: 185

Late 2018:

- Completed UW question bank twice + incorrects + marked = scored 66% and 80%.
- Created notes from UW by subject in Evernote.
- Cancelled my step 3 appointment and did not take the test.

Now:

- Should I re do UW or some other question bank considering I have completed it 4 times in a short amount of time?
- Since, it's about the CONTENT of UW, I should re do it.
- Should I create new notes from UW or just use the previous notes?
- Anki Flashcards (turn previous uw notes into anki)?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't taken the exam yet but from what I've been hearing is that you should put a lot of effort into bio stats and CCS cases. I've heard the uworld bio stats with the $25 add-on bio stats should be enough to do well on the bio stats section of the exam. Also, the CCS cases on uworld are important. And I have been using Crush CCS cases too, just to get exposure to different cases they may throw at you. I've read that if you do both Crush and Uworld then you have seen most of the cases on the real exam. I think those 2 things are really important and would probably get you enough to pass because the mcqs on the real exam are tough from what I've heard.
Also, since I remember mostly all the uworld questions is I try to remember why the answer is right not if I got the question right. what I do when I go through the uworld questions now is read the question and then try to recall what I remember of the topic. I do this because I have memorized the answer by now so I take a different approach. Also, I am using MTBs step 3 because at first I was only doing uworld and that wasn't enough for me to pass practice exams so I switched my approach and now am using mtbs to recall CK material (took CK in 2017) that shows up on the practice exams I have taken. Hope this helps... again I haven't taken the exam yet but thought I could try and help!

I haven't taken the exam yet but from what I've been hearing is that you should put a lot of effort into bio stats and CCS cases. I've heard the uworld bio stats with the $25 add-on bio stats should be enough to do well on the bio stats section of the exam. Also, the CCS cases on uworld are important. And I have been using Crush CCS cases too, just to get exposure to different cases they may throw at you. I've read that if you do both Crush and Uworld then you have seen most of the cases on the real exam. I think those 2 things are really important and would probably get you enough to pass because the mcqs on the real exam are tough from what I've heard.
Also, since I remember mostly all the uworld questions is I try to remember why the answer is right not if I got the question right. what I do when I go through the uworld questions now is read the question and then try to recall what I remember of the topic. I do this because I have memorized the answer by now so I take a different approach. Also, I am using MTBs step 3 because at first I was only doing uworld and that wasn't enough for me to pass practice exams so I switched my approach and now am using mtbs to recall CK material (took CK in 2017) that shows up on the practice exams I have taken. Hope this helps... again I haven't taken the exam yet but thought I could try and help!
Thank you