advice needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Feefyefofum03

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a rising senior at an Ivy League school and am applying for the 2003 entering class. I have my AMCAS all ready to submit, but I'm not sure where I should apply/how many to apply to, especially since I'm a borderline applicant. Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.23 science, 3.44 cumulative
MCAT: 11V, 10PS, 11BS, S Writing
History major

my science grades are in the A's and B's, but the problem is that I have a couple of really bad grades - like C's (and even a D from bio freshman yr)

The schools I've got on my list so far:

UI-Chicago
Finch
Loyola-Stritch
Jefferson
Penn State
NYMC
George Washington
E. Virginia
Med College of Wisconsin
Tufts
Tulane
Albany
Med College of Virginia
Iowa - state school
Georgetown
Columbia

(last 2 are high reach, i know, but they're both dream schools that i would love to attend if i even have the slightest chance)

Are there schools I should add to my list? Schools I should take off? I planned only to apply to 15, but after hearing about people applying to 20, 25, or more, I'm reconsidering.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

Oh - and for those who want to know about paper scores for the April 2002 MCAT, I just got mine last Saturday. They were postmarked June 14th, from Iowa City.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you scores match to those that were online?

It seems to be a wide range of schools. You should be alright.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you have lots in your favor -- I would STRONGLY recommend considering taking that bio course over again during this upcoming year while you are applying. I know there are several programs out there (Columbia and Medical College of Wisconsin among them) that consider that you have not COMPLETED a pre-med requirement if you get below a C or C-. Even if you went to Yale or Harvard or Princeton etc. If you take the course during the year, you can update them with the grade as the year progresses.

Have you taken upper level bio courses? Upper level courses in the other classes you got some C's in? That's often something they look at to see that you've moved past those grades. And also taking grad-level courses helps.

The list looks good. I would definitely add between 5-10 schools to your list -- because as you may sense from reading lots of these posts, it's sometimes just luck which school or file reviewer you get, and you don't know how schools will respond to your application. You want to maximize your chances.

The other thing is, do you have pre-med advisor at school? Have they looked at your file for readiness for applying? Have you had lots of clinical experience? Have you taken only the basic sciences (I noticed you are a history major)?

The hardest thing about this process is that it's sometimes unpredictable how your file will be viewed.

PM me if you have any questions...

The cards are stacked against you. I hope dear daddy has some deep pockets. I am sure he does since he already got you into an Ivy League school. Your GPA is really low. C's in science courses look really bad. I have heard that Finch takes money so that is in your favor. Perhaps your state schools will give a chance but forget about anything in the top 30.

good luck

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

thanks for everyone's replies so far.

to scplnhnd: thanks for your honesty, but I take offense at your statement that I got into college because my "dear daddy" had "deep pockets". Not that it's anyone's business, but I got into an Ivy League school based on my own work and merits, and am currently on financial aid. My parents weren't born in this country and had to work hard to get where they are now. I'm already up to my neck in loans trying to gain an education, and obviously I'd be taking on a lot more if I end up going to med school, but that's a choice I'm making. I posted on this forum because I wanted some constructive input. If you have any respect for that, I'd appreciate (and I'm sure everyone else would too) if you stop adding such ignorant and hurtful stereotypical remarks to your posts.

To OP,

You obviously need to toughen up. You easily got upset at a few comments and resorted to name calling . I got some news for you buddy-if you think what I said was harsh you should see how attendings treat med students and residents. All of us came here as immigrants at one time or another. It does'nt matter if you are Fresh Of the Boat or got hear on the Mayflower.
Nobody has had it easy, don?t complain about loans because you could have gone to a state school and gotten into med school.
By the way be very careful who you call ignorant I might be your future Boss.

Lighten up, scplnhnd, Newbie. All of us are simply trying to assess and enhance our chances for admission. What do you care where and why anyone else went to undergrad?

what do you meant lighten up. Its a grim life for trolls, we cannot lighten up. Who are you calling newbie, I a hardcore.

I rarely ever post here, but I often read the information posted. I find that a great many of you are incredibly knowledgable, honest, and sincerly committed to getting into medical school. I find what scplnhnd has said to feefyfo extremely imature and rude. I hope that we can all be cordial for we are--I hope--all grown adults.

Regards,
Student247

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Student247:
•I rarely ever post here, but I often read the information posted. I find that a great many of you are incredibly knowledgable, honest, and sincerly committed to getting into medical school. I find what scplnhnd has said to feefyfo extremely imature and rude. I hope that we can all be cordial for we are--I hope--all grown adults.

Regards,
Student247•••••You must also be at finch. What are they feeding you guys over there.

good god is this "scplnhnd" person actually going to medical school? Talk about someone who will need to work on their bedside manner. Lets just say that he won't be appearing on my insurance card as my PCP.

Please, oh wait, let me guess, I must go to Finch right? Cause ya know, you can't be a doctor if you just go to med school because you have a passion for it and go where you get in, you need to go to one of the quality to feed this joker's ego. Oh yeah, and its so great to work ak NIH (ahem, done that) and published (done that as well), and score 35+ on MCAT (done that too). I do think a critical part of "troll's" persona that is obivously lacking is any shred of humility, or a swift kick to the junk, whichever comes first.