Advice Needed

Started by WannaBaDoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WannaBaDoc

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm looking for some advice on what I should do next year if my plan a and plan b fail. First off, I have a 3.1 GPA with a 25M MCAT (11V, 5P, 9B). I plan on retaking my MCAT due to the fact that the 5P is a mistake seeming I was getting ~33 on all my Kaplan practice tests. As of now, plan A was to try to get into medical school for the Fall 07 semester, but that looks like it's going to be a bust.

I have already applied to Loyola's MAMS program and will send in my Rosalind M.S. program within a day or two. I just wanted to know what are the chances of me getting into one of these programs. I have no research, did volunteering at a hospital for a few weeks each summer, worked all 4 years throughout college first as a pool manager and then junior and senior years at a hospital (20-30 hrs/wk all 4 years). I'm pretty sure my lor's are pretty good as well.

My second question pertains to what should I do if I don't get into a M.S. program. I was thinking of possibly going post-bac for a year, taking maybe 2-4 classes per semester, which could raise my GPA ~.2-.3 giving me 3.3-3.4 for the following year. If I go this route, should I reapply for med schools once again this year (fall 08) along with the M.S. programs again or should I hold off a year on med schools and shoot for fall 09 with them ? Also, if I reapply, should I submit the apps in June/July with the intent to take the MCAT in Aug/Sept ?

Thanks in advance !!!