1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

advice needed

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by Dario, Jun 29, 2002.

1. How far do your stats take you?
    I have a 3.45 sci gpa (3.7 overall) and I am finishing physics this summer. Assuming I do well in the course, should I wait for the official grade to come back (late Aug.) until I send in my amcas app. or should I just send in my amcas app. and update it later? (is this possible)? My concern is that I have heard that some schools have a cutoff at 3.4/3.5... I am not sure if this cutoff is for the overall or sci. gpa, but I don't want to miss it! I have solid mcat scores (>35) so my concern is whether or not this lower (3.4-3.5) sci. gpa may affect me for the md/phd. Some people have told me that stats get you to the interview and your research takes you past that (any opinion on this?)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jot

jot

the only cutoffs i know of are >33 at WashU (though extenuating circumstances can waive that) - and a 3.7 gpa should pass all initial screens; i'm sure they'll take notice of the science gpa - but i imagine it will be your research and other experiences that will pull you to an interview if you get it. though things aren't completely equalized at the interview level, there is certainly the higher possiblity of making an excellent impression. hah - but i dunno as yet - i'm applying now. goodluck though
    -jot

4. wgu

wgu Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Dario:
    <strong>How far do your stats take you?
    I have a 3.45 sci gpa (3.7 overall) and I am finishing physics this summer. Assuming I do well in the course, should I wait for the official grade to come back (late Aug.) until I send in my amcas app. or should I just send in my amcas app. and update it later? (is this possible)? My concern is that I have heard that some schools have a cutoff at 3.4/3.5... I am not sure if this cutoff is for the overall or sci. gpa, but I don't want to miss it! I have solid mcat scores (&gt;35) so my concern is whether or not this lower (3.4-3.5) sci. gpa may affect me for the md/phd. Some people have told me that stats get you to the interview and your research takes you past that (any opinion on this?)</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've read from several being-a-doctor type sources that the MD program narrows down its candidates first by quickly looking at GPA/MCAT. It does help that you have a solid MCAT. If your grades have been steady increasing (bad freshman year), the more power to you as well. The overall GPA doesn't seem bad. It is hard to say how you'll do in the "2nd round" of the selection process because it'll depend on EC's and research... right now just make sure you nail physics! G Luck

5. I have heard of somewhere btwn. 3.3-3.4 as a cutoff for gpa and 32-33 for mcat and that most schools have points based on where you fall within the cutoffs, and then interview people with the top scores. So you should be fine...It is the interview that matters most. It was posted somewhere on SDN, and I have heard the same, that disease oriented research (cancer, for example) also sets people apart for the md/phd programs. This is just what I have heard from different sources, feel free to provide any input. I am applying right now with similar stats, but I believe acceptance is based on a range of things... if that helps

6. Vader

Vader Dark Lord of the Sith
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Doing disease-oriented research is not necessary for MD/PhD admissions. Many students do basic projects during college. It is nice if the research is connected, even remotely, to disease, but definitely not a requirement.

7. shamus1

shamus1 Member
    7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jot:
    <strong>the only cutoffs i know of are &gt;33 at WashU (though extenuating circumstances can waive that) - and a 3.7 gpa should pass all initial screens; i'm sure they'll take notice of the science gpa - but i imagine it will be your research and other experiences that will pull you to an interview if you get it. though things aren't completely equalized at the interview level, there is certainly the higher possiblity of making an excellent impression. hah - but i dunno as yet - i'm applying now. goodluck though
    -jot</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Point of correction: I questioned one of the MSTP admissions people about this and he said that they do not have a cutoff at 33; they admitted someone last year with a 26 and several with sub-33 MCATs. The average MCAT of applicants to their program is 35. Likewise, lower GPAs do not necessarily doom an application; he said that they admitted someone a few years ago with a 3.0 science GPA. The average GPA was something like 3.8. The most important factor consider in admissions at Washu or any of the other programs is research experience. A 42T and 4.0 from an Ivy doesn't mean caca to a MD/PhD program if your research sucks. Focus on the research, score at least 31 or 32 on the MCAT and have a 3.5GPA and you should be fine for most MD/PhD programs.

8. jot

jot

hah - i stand corrected, apparently hearsay can't be taken for fact.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> doesn't mean caca </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hahah.
    -jot