Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VeecoGold

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So here is my brief story.

>I applied for the 2007 cycle late. My primary application was submitted October, and was reviewed and verified by the end of December. Paid for 32 schools, 12 schools got application (missed transcript deadlines) and got 3 interviews (1 rejected, 1 waitlisted, 1 waiting to hear back soon).

>Biological Sciences major with GPA of 3.85 cum (3.97 science) from a UC (University of California) school.

>Took MCAT twice: First time I took the MCAT, I got a 9P 6V 8B (23P), while my second attempt was 10P 7V 10B (27Q). I am currently signed up to take in August 2007 CBT MCAT. Each time I took the MCAT, I was doing other things with it (research or excessive volunteering). First time I took it, I took Princeton Review. Second time was Kaplan. If I take it for the 3rd time, what do you recommend?

>Have very good extracurricular activities. 2 yrs of research, clinical volunteering for 2 years and various leadership roles in clubs/organizations. Currently doing trips to Mexico each month as part of an organization.

So…..here are some of my questions:

1.) What can I do to make myself a better candidate for the upcoming 2008 cycle this June?

2.) Should I retake the MCAT for August (If yes, do you have any tips or advice)? Or should I focus on other things? I am currently signed up for August 20th and plan to apply this cycle. I will finish my revamped application and submit it by the end of June.

3.) What activities should I pursue in the year off? Any ideas? I was planning to do some medical missions to 3rd world countries, learning Spanish and shadowing a DO. I was also planning to do either EMT or CNA experience, and pursuing research.

Thank you all for your advice. I greatly appreciate the constructive criticism! :)

Members don't see this ad.

1) Apply earlier. Applying late as a marginal candidate last time killed you. Get those apps in early. Get secondaries in within 2 weeks of getting them.
2) At this point, MCAT #3 wouldn't help you, so keep that there.
3) Do whatever you want during the year off, but make sure you keep up to date on your apps/get them in early.

You need to get better MCAT scores, but I don't know what else you can do since you have already taken 2 courses. How have you been doing on your practice exams and have you been doing enough of them? What do you think is the problem with getting higher scores?

Taking the MCAT a 3rd time and doing no better than before looks bad. Try to figure out why you aren't doing better.

Members don't see this ad :)
verbal is hard to improve. luck also plays a big factor for verbal

Agree, tough to improve verbal. However, I think it may be his overall score of 28 rather than verbal of 8 that is getting him/her excluded from med school.

The magic number for MCATs for allopathic programs seems to be about 30. If the original poster could improve physics and bio, that would help as many schools know that some applicants will not have had English as their original language. They will take someone who has a MCAT of at least 30 as long as the verbal score is at least 6-7. I think the original post said his verbal was 8.

Also, I think the score is good enough for DO school. So again, unless there is a certainty for a better score, better to leave well enough alone.

You need to get better MCAT scores, but I don't know what else you can do since you have already taken 2 courses. How have you been doing on your practice exams and have you been doing enough of them? What do you think is the problem with getting higher scores?

Taking the MCAT a 3rd time and doing no better than before looks bad. Try to figure out why you aren't doing better.

Can you see why I suggested the OP just let the MCAT stand and focus on the other aspects of their application? They need to focus on what they can definitely improve upon (as opposed to taking chance #3 on the MCAT) and get more effect for the effort they put into it.

Your MCAT is too low- Sciences are okay but seven on verbal = OUCH. You would only have shots at ~ 5 US allo schools with that stat. Retake the MCAT or go Carribean. If you apply again with seven... I am not going to comment

Call the schools you are interested in, express yourself and ask for an honest opinion about your MCAT. All of us on this board can give you good advice, but for the best advice go straight to the horse's mouth for each school.

I was a reapplicant who took the MCAT 3 times, but that is because the school I was interest in told me to. They wanted to see continual effort on improving my score.

If you do what you are asked and come a little short, at least you'll have met people with influence and demonstrated your willingness to play the game their way.

Good luck.

OP - try to get at least an 8 because a 7 would most likely kill your application. If you can show that you improved on your mcat, it'll help you, especially with the schools that you almost got into.