Advice needed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hysty

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am an IMG doing IM residency from a University program. I have applied for GI fellowship this year but chances are not that good as I only got two interviews. I have started looking for J1-waiver job.
My question is "Will it be easier to get into a fellowship after getting the greencard (3-5yrs later)?
What should I be doing in the meantime to match into GI in a good University program after I am done with my waiver?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi
I am an IMG doing IM residency from a University program. I have applied for GI fellowship this year but chances are not that good as I only got two interviews. I have started looking for J1-waiver job.
My question is "Will it be easier to get into a fellowship after getting the greencard (3-5yrs later)?
What should I be doing in the meantime to match into GI in a good University program after I am done with my waiver?

Thanks

You still have a chance, but to answer your question honestly, getting a greencard will NOT help you, because you are an FMG and board scores for FMG's are usually higher than AMG's, but since GI is so competitive now, programs can choose who they want, and at this time (and probably from now on), they will choose an AMG over an FMG. In the past, any FMG could get into GI, but now that it is a money maker, it is more competitive.

Also, from your previous posts, it seems you wanted to go into radiology, and now GI (completely opposite fields). I think program directors know that FMG's want to go into a field for money instead of truely "helping" patients or doing research. Although some AMG's want to make money in GI, it is not their primary objective. I also think too many FMG's were going into Hepatology only to get into GI later (they didn't really like Hepatology, but was a way to get into GI), now programs require GI before Hepatology.

Although I think FMG's are in general more experienced with patient care (i.e. better in physical exams from their experience in their country) and have a great fund of knowledge (i.e. have read Harrison's 2-3 times like myself), it is unfortunate that programs look for applicants that speak good English and don't have an accent.

Good luck to you and all the FMG's out there!!

You are right in saying that PDs will choose AMGs over IMGs (understandably). I wanted to do rads but due to IMG status could not get it and landed in IM and did good research and case reports during my residency so far but again due to IMG status and visa issues still not able to get a spot in GI this time. Rads or GI I like both fields equally both have imaging and procedures. If I could do another residency( unlikely due to funding issues) Id go for rads, but staying in IM GI is the way to go.
Anyhow question was how to make in to a good University program for GI provided that I have time (3-4yrs) during my waiver job?
Anybody who has done this or have an idea/advice?