Suler10

10+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Ok, so first some background...

I've always wanted to be a doctor and I can't see myself being anything else.

I am currently a sophomore at Pitt. I really like all the science courses and am majoring in neuroscience. My gpa freshman year was 3.0 but at the end of this semester it has gone down to a 2.8. My knowledge doesn't reflect my grades though, in fact most of my friends come to me for help. So I know that I capable of getting good grades and getting into med school. But the problem is I have bad anxiety so I do poorly on tests. I've realized that I can't use that as an excuse and have to show significant improvement next semester.

Next semester I'll have 18 credits including a honors class (intro to neuro)
and I think 3.8 is the minimum i have to get to show an noticeable upward trend.

I already have some extracurricular activities : club soccer, volunteer work, lab assistant at a research institute, researcher at a community health office. andd i should have 3 or 4 more by the time I am done with college.

I am also going to get a certificate in the conceptual foundations of medicine and will retake courses this summer to hopefully improve gpa.

--------------------

So I am just looking for some general advice to improve my chances of getting in...
-should I start studying for mcats now?(being taking kaplan, buying books)
-do even more activities(maybe become a ta) to cover up my gpa?
-anything else that is helpful

I just want to make sure I still have a chance to get into MD medical school.

Thanks alot
:)

RevivedPreMed

10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I don't think taking an 18 credit course load is going to help with your anxiety.

Anyways, I was on your same boat. I knew all the material but would test poorly. Turned out that I have a learning disability and severe testing anxiety. Once diagnosed, there are treatments, accommodations etc. Now I am doing so well and my grades reflect what I have learned.

If you really do have anxiety I suggest getting diagnosed so that you can proceed from there. Just imagine the testing anxiety you'd have on the MCAT without any sort of treatment/coaching/whatever.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.