Advice Needed

Started by qmoto
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

qmoto

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all, I am in a predicament right now and am in need of some advice. Any comments / suggestions are welcome.

I am currently enrolled in anatomy over the summer session but I have a chance to take gchem II instead of anatomy. This would mean that I would be able to take the first semester of ochem during fall '10 when I would also be taking calc I. If I am able to take this route then would I be prepared enough to take the PCAT in Jan '11?

The only prereqs I have done so far are:
gchem I
gbio I
all the GE classes

My fall '10 schedule would be the following assuming I take gchem II over summer:

ochem I
calc I
gbio II
micro-bio

So should I sign up now for the PCAT in Jan '11 in hopes of being able to apply to some schools next year or should I just take anatomy over summer and plan to take the PCAT in June '11?

My fall '10 schedule would be the following assuming I take anatomy over summer:

gchem II
calc I
gbio II
micro-bio

Thanks in advance.
 
Take the gen chem over the summer so you can get the o-chem into your schedule for the Fall. Take the PCAT in Jan. If you don't do well, you can then take it in June (after you have completed the Anatomy and Ochem series) and you probably would score higher. But, you might do just as well in January. Either way, having your PCAT scores in to PharmCAS early is a good thing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
take g.chem .... THE chem series is too long. get out of the way and by doing so you can finish the preq by summer 1 next year or spring
 
Ok, thanks for the advice everyone. I am going to drop anatomy and enroll in chem. Now I have to sign up for the PCAT which means I have to pick some schools to send it too right? I am guessing I should start my pharmcas after Fall '10 during break? So many things to plan and try to coordinate 🙁

To delano2000, the only bio courses that require prereqs at my school is biochem and genetics. Gbio II is diversity of organisms and does not fulfill any prereqs. Gbio I is cellular/molecular and covers most of the prereqs for all the classes except biochem which requires ochem I and gbio I.
 
I am guessing I should start my pharmcas after Fall '10 during break? So many things to plan and try to coordinate 🙁

If you are planning to apply for Fall 2011 make sure that you are aware of the deadlines for the schools you are hoping to attend. Some of the deadlines are quite early. You can always start your PharmCAS application early. I found some of the tasks that were required were long and tedious (especially entering all of my grades!) and I was glad that I started early so that I could work on it a little at a time. You can also start working on the personal statement so that you can put in some thought and have an amazing statement. It doesn't matter how early you start they only care about when you hit "Submit". Good luck!!
 
Thanks. I was planning on applying next year for '12. The problem is that a lot of schools have Jan-Mar deadlines and I will not take the PCAT until Jan, and I hear it takes a good 4-6 weeks for scores so it seems I am only able to apply for Fall '12. I will not have all my prereqs done until after Fall '11 so I dunno. I need to start getting everything organized before summer school starts. I am also taking the PTCE on the 25th so need to review for that also. Busy busy summer.