Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hyn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a third year Anthropology major with a minor in Communications. I now want to pursue a career in dentistry. It's impossible to complete my pre-reqs with one year left until graduation.

So I thought about taking 1-2 pre-reqs at a CC while enrolled at a university for the remaining semesters until graduation and I'll complete what I didn't finish after graduation.

I thought about taking it at my university, but I usually take the max credit each semester. So I'm left with no choice.

I don't know if this is a good idea. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

If I was you, plan out how many more classes you have to take. Find out first off if it is possible for you to take all those calsses and still graduate on time. Next think about this, do you really want to be taking 25 credits a semester? Or however many you have to take. If I was you I would spend an extra semester at the university and get the credits there. Plus its a much more credible place to take them from.

Thanks, Impulse155!

Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Try to take your pre-reqs at your university, even if it means your there for an extra year or so. Someone posted a similar thread this past summer and I know dental schools prefer you take your pre-reqs at a university. Some schools will accept the credits from a CC, but I also know a good majority will not accept it or it may be looked down upon. I know your probably thinking "f-that", but it really does help. I am staying at my university for an extra semester right now just to take 1 pre-req, but in my case it was a win-win situation because I get a minor in chemistry. Either way, your best bet is to call the dental schools your interested in and ask them. Best of luck to you!

Hi everyone,

I'm a third year Anthropology major with a minor in Communications. I now want to pursue a career in dentistry. It's impossible to complete my pre-reqs with one year left until graduation.

So I thought about taking 1-2 pre-reqs at a CC while enrolled at a university for the remaining semesters until graduation and I'll complete what I didn't finish after graduation.

I thought about taking it at my university, but I usually take the max credit each semester. So I'm left with no choice.

I don't know if this is a good idea. What should I do?

I wouldn't take CC classes (especially the sciences) while you are attending a 4-year university. You might give off the impression that your avoiding difficult sciences from the university