advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

someone2002

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,
i'm on the waitlist at TCOM! do u think it's a good idea to send the admission committee a letter about my interest (or desperation) of wanting to go there? Do u'all think i should apply for financial aid now even though i'm not really accepted yet? i'm just afraid when they finally offer me a spot [please god!!], it might be late to apply for finalcian aid/loans. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should apply for financial aid RIGHT NOW, so if they accept you, they'll have it right there ready to go.

I haven't had experience w/ writing letters of interest, but if waitlisted, I would wait a little and then update about how my app has changed and tell them my interest in the school. You may also want to get another letter of rec

good luck

It is definitely a good idea to write them a letter. If it is your best bet for getting in, let them know they are your #1 choice. Butter them up. Make them know that if they choose you, you will choose them.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no such thing as too late for financial aid in med school.

If you get accepted, no matter when, you will get your loans. Applying late will only mean that you will get them after school starts.

By the way, I am in the same position as you. Waitlisted at Texas schools.

well there actually IS such a thing as 'too late' when applying for financial aid, if you're looking to get some grants or scholarships.

and yes, you should definitely write a letter of interest and include any additional information you can add to your file.

Someone, post what you decide to do about the letter to TCOM. I am on the waiting list at 3 Texas schools, including TCOM, and would like to know if letter is a good thing to do.

I agree that you should definitely go ahead and do the financial aid stuff. You don't want to have to come up with a check for your tuition at registration if you get in at the last minute.

A letter stating your interest would also be good idea. I wrote such a letter to my top choice school (sent it to the Dean), and though it might not have been the deciding factor, I got accepted. Good luck! :)