advice needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steppingstone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I retook the DATs again yesterday and still didn't do great...I got 18AA with nothing below a 17 (I got a 17 on QR). My ogpa is 3.1 and my sgpa is 2.8. I have close to 3000 shadowing hours and was apart of many organizations and worked for admissions at my undergrad university. I also work as counselor/team leader at a leadership workshop and have done dental work abroad in countries such as Singapore, India, Turkmenistan, etc.

I'm currently taking Biochem, A&P and one other bio class this semester as a post bac student. Can anyone shed some light on if I may have a chance this round in June? Should I retake the DATs for a third time? What else can I do to enhance my application?

Members don't see this ad.

I would take predents advice...take your next moves slowly and wisely. This will be your last chance on the DAT. I would enroll in a masters and only take the DAT after the first year of your masters is completed! GL

I'm sorry, but I would say not likely to your chances this year. You need the GPA boost as much or more than the DAT... focus on that instead of worrying about the DAT for now. I would say you need at least three semesters of good grades to get into the range for most schools. You need to prove yourself ready for the dental courseload and graduate level work.

Members don't see this ad :)
3000 shadowing hours??

that's insane! stop shadowing and spend more time on studying for your classes+dat

3000 shadowing hours??

that's insane! stop shadowing and spend more time on studying for your classes+dat

Yeah, thats a ton! It might be a red flag. Might... Focus on studying for the DAT and GPA like the person before me said.

So I retook the DATs again yesterday and still didn't do great...I got 18AA with nothing below a 17 (I got a 17 on QR). My ogpa is 3.1 and my sgpa is 2.8. I have close to 3000 shadowing hours and was apart of many organizations and worked for admissions at my undergrad university. I also work as counselor/team leader at a leadership workshop and have done dental work abroad in countries such as Singapore, India, Turkmenistan, etc.

I'm currently taking Biochem, A&P and one other bio class this semester as a post bac student. Can anyone shed some light on if I may have a chance this round in June? Should I retake the DATs for a third time? What else can I do to enhance my application?

right now, chances are very low (and thats assuming u apply to 20+ schools)

I wouldn't retake the dat just yet... you need to get 1-2 years worth of post-bacc first. If you retake now and (assuming) you score 21+.... by time you finish post-bacc (to fix that sGPA), ur 3rd DAT would be near expiration.... I dunno if your been here long enough, but simply good DAT + low-end sGPA isn't a very good combo.

imo... you need to do something about that sGPA

and I agree with above... stop shadowing for crying out loud. Wth, 3000 hours? don't you think someone whos looking over ur application is going to wonder "gee, this kid has a lot of free time"

right now, chances are very low (and thats assuming u apply to 20+ schools)

I wouldn't retake the dat just yet... you need to get 1-2 years worth of post-bacc first. If you retake now and (assuming) you score 21+.... by time you finish post-bacc (to fix that sGPA), ur 3rd DAT would be near expiration.... I dunno if your been here long enough, but simply good DAT + low-end sGPA isn't a very good combo.

Really?? I have a 24/25/24 and about a 2.8 sci gpa just like steppingstone.

3000 shadowing hours? So, you basically shadowed every work day for 2 straight years?

Did dental work abroad? I don't know for certain, but I was under the impression that this sort of thing was frowned upon.

There is a theoretical possibility of acceptance with your current stats, but if this person is real and not a troll, as others have said the best thing you can do is say goodbye to your shadowing addiction and raise your GPA by getting 4.0s in your current and future science courses.

Really?? I have a 24/25/24 and about a 2.8 sci gpa just like steppingstone.

well... you might be an exception considering very high DAT.

but I was mostly referring to 20-22 range