advice on 10+ year old pre req classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontradstudent...again

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice on my current pre req class status. So, I am back in school now after a ten+ year break. Ten years ago I completed all my pre req classes to apply to dental school. I never completed my BS. I was accepted into dental school but never started, started a family instead. Fast forward to now, back in school with 10 classes left to have a double major in Molec Bio and Psych. I am now pre med and have actually completed all the pre reqs long ago, and the classes that I am taking now are the last of my upper level courses. Molecular bio research, psych courses, tissues and trends in molec bio, medical micro... Here is what is required to apply to my med school:

Gen zoo/bio w lab- 1 semester (took both 10+ years ago)
gen chem and organic chem- 2 sem each (took gen chem 1&2, org chem 1&2 long ago)
physics-2 sem (again took both long ago)
gen cell bio, genetics, molecular bio, immunology, OR virology - 1 sem (i have taken all these 10 years ago)

I am worried that 1- my required courses are so out dated that the school won't accept them even though i will have my BS x2 and 2- I honestly don't remember much, if anything, from these courses and am worried I won't know my foot from my head when I start med school. I am also worried about the amcas and not knowing/remembering info that will be in there. I hate to have to retake these classes but I guess I can foot the bill at my local comm college while I am finishing up my degrees. any advice anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't this a red flag? I would try not to disclose this information if they do not ask.
Potentially, but I feel like if he/she has a good reason (and family is probably a pretty good reason) the OP should be fine. Also I do not believe AMCAS or any of my secondaries asked about dental school, only previously accepted/matriculated medical schools.

Not necessarily true. While most schools have no stated policy on their websites, below are a few from NY that give you some idea of what they are looking for. For MCAT purposes, retaking freshman bio may be in order

http://weill.cornell.edu/education/admissions/app_req.html
8. Validity of courses. To fulfill an admissions requirement, courses must have been satisfactorily completed within 10 years of application. We recommend that one or more advanced science course(s) be completed within 5 years of application. All premedical required course work should be completed by January 31 of the year for which admission is sought.

http://sls.downstate.edu/admissions/com/amcas_faq.html
21. My science courses are old; do I have to retake them?
While we do not have a time limit on course requirements, the Admissions Committee will consider the overall academic record of the applicant in their review. Applicants who have completed their science prerequisites a long time ago are advised to take recent and advanced science courses to update their knowledge.

https://www.amc.edu/Academic/Undergraduate_Admissions/
An applicant who has been away from formal academic coursework for a prolonged period is advised to complete traditional college level courses before applying for admission to Albany Medical College.
so... other than one school my point is affirmed.

As a resident in training, you should be well aware, dont assume anything, especially when general statements from a few schools is something that may be noticed and thus have to be dealt with accordingly. Especially since most schools say nothing, it doesnt mean assume nothing.
What about prereqs that are ~5 years old? Doesn't apply to me, but that scenario is much more typical for those who take a gap year or two.

As a resident in training, you should be well aware, dont assume anything, especially when general statements from a few schools is something that may be noticed and thus have to be dealt with accordingly. Especially since most schools say nothing, it doesnt mean assume nothing.
As a person with a brain and experience, I can accurately judge most instances when things matter and when things don't.