grinningrice

Clean your dentures!
10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
406
0
35
Cleveland so does not rock....
Status
Hi, I am a pre dent student but I had a question on my pet turtle. He is a red ear slider, about a year old. I jus got him a month ago and had finished building his habitat with a ramp, rock, full spec uva, uvb bulb, and a heatlamp about 2 and a half weeks ago. He has yet to bask ever since I got him, is there something wrong with him?
 

birdvet2006

Glasgow c/o 2006
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
418
0
40
Portsmouth, NH
www.all-animals.net
Status
Veterinarian
grinningrice said:
Hi, I am a pre dent student but I had a question on my pet turtle. He is a red ear slider, about a year old. I jus got him a month ago and had finished building his habitat with a ramp, rock, full spec uva, uvb bulb, and a heatlamp about 2 and a half weeks ago. He has yet to bask ever since I got him, is there something wrong with him?
Have you had him in for a veterinary exam? That might be a good idea (plus, they can give him anthelmintics, which can't do him harm). What is the temperature beneath the basking lamp? Perhaps it's too hot for the turtle. What is the temperature on the end furthest from the lamp?
 
OP
grinningrice

grinningrice

Clean your dentures!
10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
406
0
35
Cleveland so does not rock....
Status
birdvet2006 said:
Have you had him in for a veterinary exam? That might be a good idea (plus, they can give him anthelmintics, which can't do him harm). What is the temperature beneath the basking lamp? Perhaps it's too hot for the turtle. What is the temperature on the end furthest from the lamp?
No I have not taken him to a veternary exam, it is 86 degrees on the rock and 82 in the water. Just curious, what would anthelmintics do for the turtle? THanks,
 

natelam

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2005
18
0
Status
grinningrice said:
No I have not taken him to a veternary exam, it is 86 degrees on the rock and 82 in the water. Just curious, what would anthelmintics do for the turtle? THanks,
Antihelmintics are general "dewormers" that will kill any internal parasitic worms that your turtle may have. Most exotics vets use a combination of metronidazole and and fenbendazole. The are a lot of reasons your turle may not be basking that range from nutritional deficincies, to internal parasites, to just adjusting the new environment. It sounds like you have the terarrium set up to par, definately consult a qualified vet who works with herps.

-Nate
 

medtechv79

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
186
1
Status
Hey,

I actually have a red eared slider myself that's one years old. Although I can't tell you exactly why he's not basking....does he have easy access to his basking spot? 82-86 degrees seems like a pretty good temperature to me for a turtle.
The main things I just watch out for is his shell (for that soft shell disease) and that he eats things every other day. He's a year old and he's growing so fast! He's already bigger than my hand! You could also try online resources to see why your turtles not basking....

http://www.turtlecare.net/basking.htm
http://happyturtle.ms11.net/LIGHTING.html

Good Luck!