Advice on applying to prelim med & transitional year programs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

disappointeddreamer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying to Psych in this upcoming match. On the off chance that I don't end up matching, I want to apply to Prelim & transitional year spots as well. My question is, can I do the required PGY1 rotations for Psych, and apply to PGY2 spots in the coming year(2019)?

If so, is it better to do a Prelim med or Transitional year?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There are no required PGY1 rotations you need to complete an intern year in any specialty and can apply for PGY2 psychiatry positions. You may need to make up some months out of elective time later

Members don't see this ad :)
The chances of having the scores for TY and not matching in psych are approaching zero. Prelim medicine or surgery year would make taking time for interviews tough.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I can't imagine a prelim or TY letting you spend four months on psychiatry. That said, most places that offer PGY-2 options will have those courses included in your 4th year.

Oh okay, In case of not matching I wanted to atleast be doing something useful. Thanks!

There are no required PGY1 rotations you need to complete an intern year in any specialty and can apply for PGY2 psychiatry positions. You may need to make up some months out of elective time later

That sounds good. So will doing a prelim or transitional year be useful at all? In case of not matching I was originally planning on doing some research, but I'm not sure if that would be better Or if its better to go ahead and do a prelim/ transitional year. Fwiw I am an IMG so that makes things a little bit more complicated.

The chances of having the scores for TY and not matching in psych are approaching zero. Prelim medicine or surgery year would make taking time for interviews tough.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

The problem is not really my scores, but I am an IMG and I want to be prepared for the worst possible outcome. In case of not matching into Psych I want to have a back up plan, hopefully something that might save me a year! :) I don't mind going to extra interviews. Especially with Psych becoming more competitive I want to be careful.