Advice on borderline personality disorder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Qe5rt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings

First of all, i want to say that i'm not a psychiatry student but just someone who's been looking for information about the subject for personal reasons. Second i'm Dutch so my apologies for any spelling errors or faulty terminology. Third i'd like to thank anyone who bothered to read (and hopefully reply) in advance.

Here's the deal: My mother has been diagnosed with BPD about 2 years ago. This is the last diagnosis while being in and out of treatment for over a decade now. Though she had ups and downs over the last 10 years she's been on a downward slope.

Because of certain events she's on the lookout for an apartment. Because she's unable to drive my family and i have been looking for her. We try to involve her as much as possible but it's like trying to find a gift for a spoiled 16 year old to be frank. She's either unhappy or doesn't care about where she'll end up. Her demands are unreasonable and any attempt by me to explain the situation and plans are forgotten due to a lack of short term memory.

Also she seems really egocentric (i did not confuse it with egoism if you wonder). I'm actually not joking when i say that she often has the mindset of a troubled adolescent in certain ways. Is this a common symptom or not?

I'd also like to know if people with BPD can/would/are able to use the condition as an excuse. Or in other words fake it at times. She tends to be tremendously dramatic in a way that i wonder if it's just to get attention. I know she needs a lot of reinsurance but no matter what we do nothing seems enough.

What i would like to know is if there's a proper way of talking, dealing, ... with her? Anything helpful i should know? I'm kinda at the end of my rope here.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, this falls under the realm of "asking for medical advice", which SDN does not permit. It may be helpful to talk with a mental health professional in your area so you can discuss your concerns in full and get some specific suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.