Advice on classes plzz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrGoMan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wonderin if anyone can give me their 2 cents on this.. I am a sophmore, and will be apply in april 05.. When i took Gen chem I i got a B, Gen chem 2 an A.. ORGO I, I got a B, and in ORGO 2, iam most likly getting a B+, perhaps A-... Do you guys think it is wise to take ORGO I over in the summer, where iam positive I will get an A with this professor, (its a 5 credit class, so its big on my science GPA). Plus I hear med school would look favorably upon that, shows some dedication?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

ive heard that they look unfavorably upon it. if u took a few classes and got a poor grade in one...an outlier of sorts..it makes sense to retake it and show that u got the info under ur belt. however, if u have a string of Bs in a given class, i dont see why retaking 1 to get an A is worth it. plus its a B. not a C. and its not too challenging to retake a class u got a B in and pull an A. u have a distinct advantage over all urclassmates who are seeing the material for the first time. id concentrate on brnging in a phenomenal mcat score and creating an upward trend in future semesterse (for gpa)

duck2005 said:
ive heard that they look unfavorably upon it. if u took a few classes and got a poor grade in one...an outlier of sorts..it makes sense to retake it and show that u got the info under ur belt. however, if u have a string of Bs in a given class, i dont see why retaking 1 to get an A is worth it. plus its a B. not a C. and its not too challenging to retake a class u got a B in and pull an A. u have a distinct advantage over all urclassmates who are seeing the material for the first time. id concentrate on brnging in a phenomenal mcat score and creating an upward trend in future semesterse (for gpa)

I agree with what you say, but do you think that a B in orgo I and a B+, maybe A- or orgo II would put me at a significant disadvantage? (because you said I will need phenomenal Mcat scores). I'm quite sure my overall gpa will be around 3.7; but I know med schools love orgo and look highly on it, thats why I guess I wanted to retake and go from B -> A.

Members don't see this ad :)
why are you worried? plenty of people have gotten in with worse grades. there;s no sense in taking it over, just take some upper level course work and do well in it, don't take a class that you DID WELL in just because there is a POSSIBILITY of getting one letter grade better. why waste your time?

I don't think that retaking Orgo will have a greater inpact than taking a new upper-level class (and getting an A) would.

From the standpoint of your AMCAS GPA, the re-take is no different than any other class. With a B in hand, I'd probably look to a different class to show that I can handle the difficulty, rather than re-taking organic.

Just take Biochemistry. Do well. Don't retake classes unless you did absolutely horribly on them. Getting a B is not absolutely horrible.

UseUrHeadFred said:
Just take Biochemistry. Do well. Don't retake classes unless you did absolutely horribly on them. Getting a B is not absolutely horrible.

Aright, so I guess its not worth taking in the summer.. I dunno tho, I would think med schools would like to see the fact that i wasted half my summer just to dedicate myself to better a fairly average grade..

Could you maybe just re-take the first semester? If you end up with an A- for the second semester, there's no need to re-take that. Also, the fact that you improved from a B to an A or A- say a lot. I know a few people in my class with Bs are re-taking Organic next year.

Do you guys think it would be insane to take Biochem, P-chem, and Spectroscopy (all with labs) at once? My advisor wants me to clear up my schedule for senior year so I pretty much only have my bio electives and thesis to worry about. It's not the three sciences that are a problem (other than that I would only take on other course, history), but the 4 labs because I'll have Research Methods, too. I don't have to worry about the MCATs due to Early Assurance, but I do have to keep a 3.7. Any suggestions? I could drop spec and pick up 2 more liberal arts courses. :scared: