Advice on DAT retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frankenstein777

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon!
So I am currently sitting on 3 waitlists and am starting to look at how to improve my app for the next cycle.
I have a 3.1 GPA, but about a 3.5 post bacc GPA in all BCP classes (about 50 credits). I got a 20 AA on the DAT with 19 TS.
Since I have so many college credits, my GPA barely moves and I have really good ECs and a lot of experience in the dental field.
My main question is, should I retake the DAT for a higher score before I apply again? Or apply in June with some more classes haven been completed. (I applied in September this past cycle) Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Does the 3.1 include your post-bacc gpa? If so, you may want to consider an smp/masters to boost that further. A retake is a little debatable since your DAT scores are fine...it's your gpa that needs a little work

Members don't see this ad :)
Get As in the classes you have remaining and work on your interview skills. Upward trends are good and you are obviously getting bites with schools so work on interviewing really well. I wouldn't retake the DAT.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Get As in the classes you have remaining and work on your interview skills. Upward trends are good and you are obviously getting bites with schools so work on interviewing really well.

Thanks for the advice! I thought my 1st interview was a bit shaky, but my last two felt really strong. I sent out a thank you email to one interviewer and received a really positive response, so I really thought I was going to get in there. But I'm definitely working hard on these classes I have left and trying to learn from past interviews.

Does the 3.1 include your post-bacc gpa? If so, you may want to consider an smp/masters to boost that further. A retake is a little debatable since your DAT scores are fine...it's your gpa that needs a little work
Yeah, it does include my post-bacc. SMP is a good idea. Do you think having that separate grad GPA at like a 3.5+ is significantly more beneficial than continuing more undergrad courses?

So you've received interviews? How many? I don't think a retake is necessary.
I have received 3 interviews. And I'd prefer to not retake because scoring higher than a 20 is never really guaranteed regardless of the time put into it. Do you think applying in mid-September hurt me at all?

I have received 3 interviews. And I'd prefer to not retake because scoring higher than a 20 is never really guaranteed regardless of the time put into it. Do you think applying in mid-September hurt me at all?
Possibly. I had an interview in August so some are early. I'd apply right away in June next cycle if you have to apply again.

Yeah, it does include my post-bacc. SMP is a good idea. Do you think having that separate grad GPA at like a 3.5+ is significantly more beneficial than continuing more undergrad courses?

I think that taking more than 50 credits in postbacc, especially if it's difficult to move your gpa at this point, is a bit of overkill. If you do well in a masters (aim for 3.7+), then it will not only increase your overall gpa, but the grad gpa will show adcoms that you're definitely competitive when it comes to handling upper-level science courses. Granted my point could be debatable but it's just my opinion. You could try contacting a few people at admissions (particularly from the schools that rejected you) to see what they'd suggest as well

Applying in September really hurt your chances. Considering that you still received interviews, your application is fine. Apply earlier.