Advice on DAT retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.TibyM

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a question regarding the DAT retake I have to do in October. Do you think that it'll be too late to submit with my application this cycle? I am currently working on my masters and will finish beginning of August then I will be submitting my application second week of August but there will have to be a wit until my DAT scores are received.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,
I have a question regarding the DAT retake I have to do in October. Do you think that it'll be too late to submit with my application this cycle? I am currently working on my masters and will finish beginning of August then I will be submitting my application second week of August but there will have to be a wit until my DAT scores are received.
Since you are retaking, I would hold off on applying until you get your scores back from your retake. Your application would anyway be put on hold until those scores are in, so I'd wait to make sure you do actually show improvement in your scores. October is very late in general, since dental school is rolling admissions and interviews have already been going out, so I think you would be better off applying early next cycle when you have your scores in hand.

Reactions: 1 user
Since you are retaking, I would hold off on applying until you get your scores back from your retake. Your application would anyway be put on hold until those scores are in, so I'd wait to make sure you do actually show improvement in your scores. October is very late in general, since dental school is rolling admissions and interviews have already been going out, so I think you would be better off applying early next cycle when you have your scores in hand.
Hmmm Thank you for your opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,
Hi Tiby,
A lot depends on the school you are applying to, schools have different cutoffs. I have worked with many students through the years who have applied in October and even later and got in that cycle. A student now in their 3rd year at NYU took his DAT in December and got in that cycle. You should check with the school. Your main focus should be on your raising your DAT scores. If you miss a cycle but get into dental school that would be a great thing. Dental school is very time consuming and overwhelming especially in the first year. So, if you are faced with a gap year you can fill it easily with working and saving some money because it will be hard to work and go to dental school in the first year. Or just take some time off. Hope this makes sense to you, but in short, put your energy and focus on raising your DAT score and completing your Masters, with those 2 things in place the door to interviews and acceptances will open.

Wishing you the best...Nancy, co/owner, Destroyers

Hi Tiby,
A lot depends on the school you are applying to, schools have different cutoffs. I have worked with many students through the years who have applied in October and even later and got in that cycle. A student now in their 3rd year at NYU took his DAT in December and got in that cycle. You should check with the school. Your main focus should be on your raising your DAT scores. If you miss a cycle but get into dental school that would be a great thing. Dental school is very time consuming and overwhelming especially in the first year. So, if you are faced with a gap year you can fill it easily with working and saving some money because it will be hard to work and go to dental school in the first year. Or just take some time off. Hope this makes sense to you, but in short, put your energy and focus on raising your DAT score and completing your Masters, with those 2 things in place the door to interviews and acceptances will open.

Wishing you the best...Nancy, co/owner, Destroyers
Thank you very much, Nancy, for your response. Someone else also told me the same thing regarding checking with the schools and that they still received an interview offer with retaking their DAT in October I was just hesitant.