Quantcast

Advice on deciding between MA options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

illy88

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi!

I'm trying to decide between two master's programs, but I don't have an advisor/mentor to ask about which would be a better program so if anyone knows anything about them, please share!

What I need most is research experience to boost my application to PhD clinical psych programs.

It seems the MA in clinical psych at Columbia is a mixed bag. Is it difficult to get good experience in labs with so many people in the program? How much did the thesis help for getting into PhD's? I don't want to find out the program is so large it's not helpful or is a diploma mill, but I really have no idea what it's like as I don't know anyone who has attended...

The other program is at King's College in london. It's smaller so perhaps that would be better for research...but I'm not sure how well this would transfer back to the US. It seems the school is good in psych, but will schools in the US be familiar with it?

Thanks for any input!

wandergirl

Reaction score
Caveat, I don't know much about these options. Both sound like they would be well known. I would be researching the labs and contacting professors. See if you get responses, what they have to say about the opportunities. Frankly, I'm not too sure how helpful an MA is. My guess is that something like a paid RAship for 1-2 years would be of greater benefit fiscally and in terms of experience if you are pursuing a research career.

Jclinical723

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm trying to decide between two master's programs, but I don't have an advisor/mentor to ask about which would be a better program so if anyone knows anything about them, please share!

What I need most is research experience to boost my application to PhD clinical psych programs.

It seems the MA in clinical psych at Columbia is a mixed bag. Is it difficult to get good experience in labs with so many people in the program? How much did the thesis help for getting into PhD's? I don't want to find out the program is so large it's not helpful or is a diploma mill, but I really have no idea what it's like as I don't know anyone who has attended...

The other program is at King's College in london. It's smaller so perhaps that would be better for research...but I'm not sure how well this would transfer back to the US. It seems the school is good in psych, but will schools in the US be familiar with it?

Thanks for any input!
What did you end up deciding? I was just accepted to Columbia and would like advice if you ended up there!