Advice on extracurricular activity to do.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin001

Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be applying to both DO/MD schools in May of 2024 and am currently studying for the MCAT. I am seeking advice or suggestions regarding with my extracurricular activities. It appears that I may not have enough extracurricular activities or hours dedicated to them. If I do not score well on the MCAT with a minimum of 513, my chances of getting into MD schools may be limited (mainly my state MD school).

My diagnostic score on the AAMC sample test was 494, which is disappointing and I am booked for May 23rd, 2024.

1. Volunteered at a large hospital (3 month) 2017.
2. Worked as a medical scribe (3 month).
3. Currently, I have been volunteering at a hospice center since May 2023
4. Currently, I work as a medical assistant, a position I have held since September 2023.

What are your suggestions overall?

Some options
1. I could return to the hospital and participate in their volunteering and shadowing program, although I am unsure if the program is currently active.
2. I could shadow a DO physician at my workplace, but according to company policy, I am not allowed to enter exam rooms with the physician.
3. I have also attempted to find shadowing opportunities elsewhere, but have been unsuccessful so far. I will continue to search.
4. Alternatively, I could volunteer in a non-clinical setting, such as a homeless shelters, refugee agencies, or churches.

Members don't see this ad.

You will need to get 50 hours of shadowing and do a significant amount of volunteering in a non-clinical setting such as a homeless shelter, food bank, or refugee center. It was only 3 months, but you can take some hours out from the scribe job and list that as shadowing.

You will need to get 50 hours of shadowing and do a significant amount of volunteering in a non-clinical setting such as a homeless shelter, food bank, or refugee center. It was only 3 months, but you can take some hours out from the scribe job and list that as shadowing.
Hi, thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest filing out a WAMC template.
Hello there, I would like to fill out a WAMC template. Is the advising appointment free? If not, could you please provide me with more information about the service? If it is free, I would like to prepare for it. What information should I gather or how should I prepare to benefit from it? Thank you.

Hello there, I would like to fill out a WAMC template. Is the advising appointment free? If not, could you please provide me with more information about the service? If it is free, I would like to prepare for it. What information should I gather or how should I prepare to benefit from it? Thank you.
It's free though I suggest paying what you can afford to continue to persuade the HPSA/SDN brass to continue this service. Basically you can set up an appointment on my calendar. We can communicate through a DM/Conversation if you want to send me what you submitted already (AMCAS/AACOMAS) to help me get a better handle on your profile.

Hi all,

I will be applying to both DO/MD schools in May of 2024 and am currently studying for the MCAT. I am seeking advice or suggestions regarding with my extracurricular activities. It appears that I may not have enough extracurricular activities or hours dedicated to them. If I do not score well on the MCAT with a minimum of 513, my chances of getting into MD schools may be limited (mainly my state MD school).

My diagnostic score on the AAMC sample test was 494, which is disappointing and I am booked for May 23rd, 2024.

1. Volunteered at a large hospital (3 month) 2017.
2. Worked as a medical scribe (3 month).
3. Currently, I have been volunteering at a hospice center since May 2023
4. Currently, I work as a medical assistant, a position I have held since September 2023.

What are your suggestions overall?

Some options
1. I could return to the hospital and participate in their volunteering and shadowing program, although I am unsure if the program is currently active.
2. I could shadow a DO physician at my workplace, but according to company policy, I am not allowed to enter exam rooms with the physician.
3. I have also attempted to find shadowing opportunities elsewhere, but have been unsuccessful so far. I will continue to search.
4. Alternatively, I could volunteer in a non-clinical setting, such as a homeless shelters, refugee agencies, or churches.
It's not impossible to go from a 494 to a 513, but it is also not common or easy. If this is your true goal, just continue your current activities and study to do well on your exam. You can shadow some after your exam

Reactions: 1 user