Advice on finishing 3rd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jen20a20

Reaction score
Hello all, new to this forum but created an account to get some advice. I have finished my first 2 years of my DPT program (all of the class work). My program is set up for the last year to be full long term clinicals. I had my first child at the tail end of my second year and was graciously given the opportunity to take a year off. I am now completing that year off. However I am debating on if it is wise to return and finish. On one hand I am so close! However, I would love to stay home with my son and return to work when he is in school. However, that is 6 years down the road! if I do finish my schooling would any job hire me with zero experience? Would I be able to remember all of the skills from school so much later? Is it possible to jump out for such a long time then jump back in? Any advice is helpful! My husband is very supportive and honestly wants me to stop, but is supportive either way. Thankfully I received a lot of outside scholarships so loans are not an issue I am concerned with. It’s mainly all of the effort I’ve put in but also fearful that I won’t be able to be able to be a good PT several years later or if I’d even get hired

Members don't see this ad.

if I do finish my schooling would any job hire me with zero experience?
Yes!

Would I be able to remember all of the skills from school so much later?
Probably not unless you work at least a little bit.

Is it possible to jump out for such a long time then jump back in?
It's possible. But it would be a good idea to work at least a little bit. Even if it is 1 day a week.

I would suggest to finish school. Study for NPTE as long as you need while taking care of your baby. After passing NPTE, work 1 or 2 days a week (can be 4h a day, can do 8h day once a week, can do Sat/Sun when your husband can watch the kid) to maintain your skills, to learn new skills, and to stay in the field. Then it will be an easy transition 6 years down the road. At the same time, 4-8h/day 1-2 times a week should not take much tame away from your baby.