Advice on how to fix gpa for DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bucks17

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I am new to SDN but I really need some help.

I’m really looking for any guidance on what to do. I have a sGPA of 3.1 and a cumulative just slightly above that.9(AACOMAS calculated) I’m in a confusing spot in my undergrad science courses. I always did better in the second semester of courses for example: Gen Chem1 I got a C took, took GenChem2 years later and got a B. Took O chem1 got a C, took o chem 2 a semester later and got an A. Took biochem and got a B. Physics1 got a C and physics 2 a B. I also got a C in college Algebra my freshman year because I missed a final due to extenuating circumstances and a make up "could not be made" but obviously my math skill is good enough if I have done well in Physics and stats courses. I’m confused on what I should do to fix my sGPA. I'm non-traditional, have a lot of experience with Animal science/reproduction and comparative anatomy but I am fixed on Human medicine now. 100 hours shadowing in rural areas, volunteering at free clinics in rural areas, amongst other things.

ignorantly, I took my MCAT with trying to self teach ochem 1, 2, biochem and physics, I spent so much time on that, that I only spent 1 week on Psych/Soc. I don't need any comments on how dumb this was I know it is and now I have to face the music.

I got a 491 122,122,126,121.
I know I can do much better now with my fuller knowledge and more studying.

in short, I know that I need to retake the MCAT and fix my GPA somehow. I’m looking almost strictly DO at the University of Pikeville Kentucky- I’m a resident of the area (very rural) and they give preference to it. Their “competitive” for interview is 498 and 3.2 of both gpa. I know it is smarter to apply to more schools so I will obviously do that.

I really wanted to apply for the class of 2022 with a late application because I thought they had a deal if you get interviewed one year then their might be a conditional acceptance the next.

Any opinions would be absolutely amazing. I’m a first Gen college student so I’m completely overwhelmed. I know that I can handle more difficult courses, I am so much better at courses like Physiology in comparison to Physics. Should I be looking at a Master's program after an MCAT retake?

Members don't see this ad.

Your sGPA and cGPA are fine for some DO schools as long as your MCAT is at least 500. So you need to retake the MCAT at some point but do not retake until your practice scores are consistently over500. If you want to increase your sGPA you could take some undergraduate level science courses at a local college (community college is fine).

hard disagree about the MCAT, you'll want a 510+, as a couple DO schools will autoscreen those GPAs.
How are you studying for the MCAT? One nice thing about the test is that P/S is extremely easy to bump up after a few weeks (but CARS is the tough one)

that said, it is a holistic process, and if you have some killer EC's (and carefully edited essays), those can really help. It seems like you fit their mission! There are other rather rural DO schools you could aim for like ARCOM, KCOM, WVSOM and LMU-DCOM (buyer beware)

Reactions: 1 user
hard disagree about the MCAT, you'll want a 510+, as a couple DO schools will autoscreen those GPAs.
How are you studying for the MCAT? One nice thing about the test is that P/S is extremely easy to bump up after a few weeks (but CARS is the tough one)

that said, it is a holistic process, and if you have some killer EC's (and carefully edited essays), those can really help. It seems like you fit their mission! There are other rather rural DO schools you could aim for like ARCOM, KCOM, WVSOM and LMU-DCOM (buyer beware)

I would say like a 505 if OP advocated for themselves very persistently with admissions.