Advice on how to pick a residency program-2 steps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdmans

Reaction score
1. Applying to a program with large enrollment of residents (larger number of residency spots per program) helps to not put focus on a resident, vs a smaller program where there is too much contact with physician administrators, eg program director, chairman. It is less difficult to keep a low profile, work with your team and "disappear in the crowd" which is a good idea because most physician administrators don't know what they are doing and have few patients.

2. No offense to the Northeast-these are excellent programs-but you want to go somewhere where everyone is not obnoxious, insulting, derogatory, by nature..again no offense to anyone in the NE section of the country--it is usually the case. the SE, Midwest, Mountain or West Coast usually have programs with somewhat nicer staff in general. Residency is difficult enough without having the above as a baseline.

3. Stay away from physician administrators early on if possible. Take a rotation where you won't be noticed, if you have a choice.

I hope any of the above help fourth years applying this year-if you would prefer to not be noticed. Jonathan Manson MD

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Can confirm that all of this is the absolute truth. Words to live by.

Umm... I think the opposite of what the OP said. Being part of a smaller program means that you receive more attention (and more teaching) from the attending physicians.

Umm... I think the opposite of what the OP said. Being part of a smaller program means that you receive more attention (and more teaching) from the attending physicians.
I think the teaching is the same. Most of what you learn is through self-directed learning anyway. I’m at a larger sized program and it’s still one on one teaching with one resident and two interns per attending team. Meeting with faculty mentors, department chair, and the PD did absolutely nothing to shape my path to become a cards fellow. The most helpful relationships you build are the ones with your research mentor and often times there will be more clinician researchers at larger programs.

Reactions: 1 user