Advice on improving app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peaceloveandmedicine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m approaching the end of my premed career and I’m fearful about stacking up.
My undergrade cgpa: 3.5 (slight upward trend)
sgpa: 3.3 (at a top 50 school, “public ivy”)

Research: 1,500+ a development/cognitive psychology lab on infants with autism
-one poster and one oral presentation (awards for both)
-school research fellowships and conference travel grants
-currently working on my honor thesis in this lab (in talks about publishing a paper)

Volunteer hours: ~80 tutor/mentoring high school age children in disadvantaged areas

Clinical hours: ~200 Research Assistant in Neuro lab that conducts MRIs on infants
-conduct MRI screenings on moms and babies
-swaddle babies for MRI
-sit in the MRI room with them to make sure they’re ok
Shadowing: 20 hrs

ECs: Student government board (Committee Chair, 1 year), MAPS (volunteer chair, 1 year), BSU member, TA for chem and ochem (2 years)

So I don’t plan to apply until the 2020-2021
cycle because I’m getting my MPH (Behavioral & Community Health) through my schools accelerated masters program.
I intend to get somewhere between a 510-520 on my MCATs. I know I need more shadowing and volunteering. But is there anything else I need to do to improve my app? I really don’t want to go to DO schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I’m approaching the end of my premed career and I’m fearful about stacking up.
My undergrade cgpa: 3.5 (slight upward trend)
sgpa: 3.3 (at a top 50 school, “public ivy”)

Research: 1,500+ a development/cognitive psychology lab on infants with autism
-one poster and one oral presentation (awards for both)
-school research fellowships and conference travel grants
-currently working on my honor thesis in this lab (in talks about publishing a paper)

Volunteer hours: ~80 tutor/mentoring high school age children in disadvantaged areas

Clinical hours: ~200 Research Assistant in Neuro lab that conducts MRIs on infants
-conduct MRI screenings on moms and babies
-swaddle babies for MRI
-sit in the MRI room with them to make sure they’re ok
Shadowing: 20 hrs

ECs: Student government board (Committee Chair, 1 year), MAPS (volunteer chair, 1 year), BSU member, TA for chem and ochem (2 years)

So I don’t plan to apply until the 2020-2021
cycle because I’m getting my MPH (Behavioral & Community Health) through my schools accelerated masters program.
I intend to get somewhere between a 510-520 on my MCATs. I know I need more shadowing and volunteering. But is there anything else I need to do to improve my app? I really don’t want to go to DO schools.

Other than more volunteering, preferably with underserved communities as you have done, and getting like 50+ shadowing hours, I don't see anything else you can do to improve your app. With a 510+ MCAT and well-written secondaries, I don't think you would need to apply to DO

Reactions: 1 user
maybe do something with the MPH (maybe a senior thesis) that will be unique and add value to your future career as a doc.

Reactions: 1 user
Intending to score in the 510-520s is different from actually scoring in that range.

Why are you opposed to DO schools?

Reactions: 2 users