1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Advice on Improving Extracurriculars

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by PaperMonkey, Aug 9, 2011.

1. PaperMonkey

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hello, I'm a 2011 University of California Graduate with a 3.6 cGPA/sGPA, and will be taking the MCAT in January. Aside from prepping for the MCAT, I'm working on improving my Extracurriculars. I was wondering if anyone had some advice on what to look into.

2.5 years of Clinical Research in a study on Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder. To clarify, this was more than just being a "lab monkey" as some phrase it. I was involved in collecting and interpreting the data, interviewing research subjects, and so forth, along with training newer research students in the lab procedures.

2 Years Volunteer at a hospital, with lots of direct patient contact and interaction with hospital staff.

60 hours shadowing experience with a pediatrician, neurologist, and an internal medicine doctor.

Aside from that, I don't have much else. I tried joining a pre-med fraternity but didn't stick with it, I felt it wasn't particularly helpful and that it was taking too much time away from my classes.

I'm not sure if I have anything that could be counted as leadership experience, but I do have some things that might count? For example, I managed the day-to-day operations of the research project whenever the professor was absent for extended periods.

Any advice on improving EC's? Should I make an effort at publishing? Is there any more volunteer work I ought to do? Anything else that I should cover that my current EC's are missing?

I hope that my post wasn't too wordy :). That said, if anyone needs more information, I'm more than happy to provide. Thank you for your help.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dunno maybe get a job. the depth looks good but there aren't many things you put. it's nice to learn people skills (aka dealing with *******s that think they're better than you). benchwork isn't for everyone and you have a lot of clinical research already, but that might be something to try out since you have the year. americorps is a cool program, if you apply now and get accepted, you can start in september and there are a ton of great places to do it at.
    i didn't have any leadership on my app and it seems to be going okay so far

#2 kpcrew, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2011
  4. Phlox

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It looks like you have research, clinical volunteering, and shadowing pretty well covered. I would consider adding some non-clinical volunteering if you have time. Teaching/tutoring are pretty common as are food bank/homeless shelter type activities, but it could be anything; I walked dogs at a local animal shelter, which was a lot of fun.

It sounds like your research position involved some leadership experience, especially if you were managing other people as part of your day-to-day lab operations in addition to training new students.

5. PaperMonkey

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Aside from Americorps, are there any examples of non-medical volunteering that you recommend?

6. vnicolas

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Become a Mentor

7. yellowpwr

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    In addition to those that have been mentioned already:

Contacting the local Habitat for Humanity Chapter
    Working for the Special Olympics
    Parks sometimes need volunteers
    Ditto to the above for cities: some area good at it some aren't
    Libraries
    United Way or Salvation Army

Any of these are great. Just pick one and spend a lot of time on it. In my opinion, better to do a ton of hours for one organization than spread it out.