advice on LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Black Mamba Gene

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
for schools that require only 2 LORs (one from science professor and one from DO physician for example),
is it better to have 2 strong LORs or 2 strong LORs + 1 generic average LOR.

Im afraid if I add more LORs for these schools they may pick out only the generic average LOR and not read the strong ones. If I only have 2 LORs for these schools does that look bad?

One of my letters is from a biochem professor who told me at the end of the class herself she would love to write me a LOR for medical school even though I only got a B+ in her class. However we had a very good relationship and I told her about me wanting to be a physician earlier in her course. This letter will be somewhat strong I feel like since the professor really liked me even though I received only a B+

The second letter is very strong and from a DO physician who I shadowed. I met her when I was volunteering at a health screening clinic, started talking to her and asked if I could shadow her in a couple months. I shadowed her for 2-3 weeks and she later became a mentor to me for a year. So I know for sure this letter will be very strong.

I have 2 other letters from a science professor and another physician I shadowed but I do not think they will nearly be as strong as these other 2. Is it ok if I only have those 2 strong letters for schools that only require 2? Or would this be a red flag?

thank you for your time

Members don't see this ad.

1. Anything that you submit - will get read.
2. There is a reason they only want two letters, and its because they only want to read two. If they ask for two, only submit two unless you have a 3rd letter written by God himself.

Reactions: 2 users
1. Anything that you submit - will get read.
2. There is a reason they only want two letters, and its because they only want to read two. If they ask for two, only submit two unless you have a 3rd letter written by God himself.
I believe this is accurate as MOST LOR's are positive. I always read the whole letter. On a few occasions i have discovered some uncomplimentary comments hidden deep within the body. 2 good ones are better than 3 mediocre ones.

Reactions: 1 user