advice on LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Black Mamba Gene

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
for schools that require only 2 LORs (one from science professor and one from DO physician for example),
is it better to have 2 strong LORs or 2 strong LORs + 1 generic average LOR.

Im afraid if I add more LORs for these schools they may pick out only the generic average LOR and not read the strong ones. If I only have 2 LORs for these schools does that look bad?

One of my letters is from a biochem professor who told me at the end of the class herself she would love to write me a LOR for medical school even though I only got a B+ in her class. However we had a very good relationship and I told her about me wanting to be a physician earlier in her course. This letter will be somewhat strong I feel like since the professor really liked me even though I received only a B+

The second letter is very strong and from a DO physician who I shadowed. I met her when I was volunteering at a health screening clinic, started talking to her and asked if I could shadow her in a couple months. I shadowed her for 2-3 weeks and she later became a mentor to me for a year. So I know for sure this letter will be very strong.

I have 2 other letters from a science professor and another physician I shadowed but I do not think they will nearly be as strong as these other 2. Is it ok if I only have those 2 strong letters for schools that only require 2? Or would this be a red flag?

thank you for your time
 
1. Anything that you submit - will get read.
2. There is a reason they only want two letters, and its because they only want to read two. If they ask for two, only submit two unless you have a 3rd letter written by God himself.
I believe this is accurate as MOST LOR's are positive. I always read the whole letter. On a few occasions i have discovered some uncomplimentary comments hidden deep within the body. 2 good ones are better than 3 mediocre ones.