Advice on my DIY post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Big Tall Doctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, after advice from @Goro, I've decided to invest in myself and pursue classes at Sacramento State. However, because I will not be going for a degree, I will only be able to crash classes utilizing Open University. I was pretty sketched out at first, but after talking to the continuing education conselors and seeing other posts about this path, I feel alot better. Although when I went to talk to admissions, about being admitted for spring semester, the councilor was quite judgemental and kept telling me I was wrong about my post-bacc credits ,through open university, counting for anything towards my undergrad cGPA for AMCAS. Undeterred I was able to crash 2 classes for summer, with the professors being super awesome and actually let me know of availability in their fall classes, and will continue to crash for fall and spring semester.
So currently the plan is:
summer:
Human Reproduction, Parisitology (6 units total)

Fall: choosing 3 classes or 12 units (open university limit)
Mammology (maybe), Entomology (summer prof teaches this and confirms space), Pathogenic Bacteriology, Development Biology (vertebrates so I assume different class, will talk to professor next week)

Spring: 3 classes or 12 units
Virology, Immunology, Histology, maybe Biochem, or Clinical hematology

about me: 2.83 cgpa, 2.9 sgpa. I am currently working as a scribe at hospital, as well as shadowing an Trama surgeon (with possibility to shadow other specialties), volunteering in the mornings at Homeless center.
I did the math and if I take 30 units and maintain a gpa of 3.8 or better my cgpa will be above a 3.0. Will be applying for SMP's this next cycle as a backup for year 2, but plan is to apply MD/DO next cycle. I'm pretty confident about this path, and will seize this opportunity to better myself. But please let me know if anything stands out as odd or if my classes seem off. If you have any comments about open university/ other DIY post bacc experiences I would really appreciate the feedback!

Members don't see this ad.