Advice on next semester's classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhitneyRachelle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone! I need a little advice on my classes for next semester. I'm a freshman, and this first semester, I decided to take it easy and I took mostly gen ed classes. This coming semester, I'm taking more science classes that go with my major. I'm taking Bio 1 with lab, Chem 1 with lab, Calc 1, and then another gen ed 3 credit class. I'm taking 17 credit hours total. A lot of people have advised me against my current schedule, and I'm just curious as to what you guys think. With a lot of determination, is it possible to take those three weed out classes at once? Or am I just asking for trouble with my GPA?
Also, I'd really like to get started on Organic my first semester of sophomore year. So, I was thinking about taking Chem 2 over the summer. Is it wise to take science classes in the summer?
I would appreciate any advice! Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Your schedule is definitely doable and the earlier you finish those pesky prereqs, the more time you have for the material to sink in via various ways, such as TA/SI/tutor/review/etc. Also, it would be a good way to ease into taking more than 1 tough course at once and get used to the premed/med student life! :p Also, talk to upeprclassmen about whether the prereq courses at your school are weedout classes. As far as my school goes, there is a difference between regular and honors chemistry I, for example. The honors class is considered very difficult, but the former is considered pretty easy. It's all about you in the end!

As far as taking courses over the summer, I have heard mixed opinions. According to LizzyM, taking courses over the summer is fine. I am not so sure about pre-reqs though, so I'd go post a question on her question thread!

Okay, that gives me hope. Haha. And yeah, my advisor told me that it gets me used to how it's going to be. But thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
These sorts of questions are pretty subjective. Plenty of people would be able to pull off that schedule and I'm sure some would find it too difficult. It's really up to you if you'll do well with that schedule though. If you study enough and try hard enough of course it's doable.

Summer science classes are a good idea. They can be a lot of work though so don't try to pile on a ton of credits. Stick to 4-6 credits over the summer and you should be fine.

Hi, everyone! I need a little advice on my classes for next semester. I'm a freshman, and this first semester, I decided to take it easy and I took mostly gen ed classes. This coming semester, I'm taking more science classes that go with my major. I'm taking Bio 1 with lab, Chem 1 with lab, Calc 1, and then another gen ed 3 credit class. I'm taking 17 credit hours total. A lot of people have advised me against my current schedule, and I'm just curious as to what you guys think. With a lot of determination, is it possible to take those three weed out classes at once? Or am I just asking for trouble with my GPA?
Also, I'd really like to get started on Organic my first semester of sophomore year. So, I was thinking about taking Chem 2 over the summer. Is it wise to take science classes in the summer?
I would appreciate any advice! Thank you so much.

Eh I don't see a problem.... I took bio 1, chem 1 and calc 1 at the same time as well, and I didn't have too much difficulty. All three classes are fairly straightforward but may require a lot of work. But every university and professor is different. For a lot of people college isn't the most fun time of their lives but the least fun time of their lives because they are always studying. I think something that a lot of freshman don't realize is how much effort getting a good GPA actually requires... you are probably going to have to work harder in college than you ever have before.

I say go for it anyway, and try to get into some research too.

Also please delete your twitter link... it has a lot of personal information.

Last edited:
None of those courses are weed out classes...? I don't see what the problem would be in taking them all at once.

None of those courses are weed out classes...? I don't see what the problem would be in taking them all at once.

At some universities they are... you could make those subjects pretty complicated if you wanted to.

Asking us is pretty useless for the following reasons:

1. It depends on the professor/school whether or not these courses are designed to be brutal weed out classes. If so, taking weed out gen chem 1 and the other 2 will annihilate your gpa even if you try really hard. Then again also consider that these classes will probably annihilate your gpa regardless. (This was the case at my school- only 5 out of 400 kids got an A, 10 got an A-)
2. It also depends on you. Some students are very dedicated and will study day in and day out in order to get a decent grade while other's simply don't have that level of dedication. If you aren't part of the former group, i suggest you strive to be like that but for the time being it can be dangerous for your GPA.

I did exactly what you are planning on doing freshman year and didn't do so well (Ended up landing a 3.3), however, now as a junior i can probably destroy those classes as i've built up the discipline i didn't have coming into college. Keep this in mind when deciding.

Yup, some schools have the stupid notion that only certain percentages of the class should get a certain grade...and when your competition is stiff, you're in for one helluva ride!

Agreed. Its hard to determine what the weed out classes are at your college, so it's hard to say whether or not your schedule would be too hectic.

At UGA, the "weed out class" is gen chem 1 or organic chemistry (depends really on what your own weakness is). At Georgia Southern, the weed out class is gen chem 2.

Either way, I would take it a little easier this semester and take 15 hours. You could always get ahead by taking summer classes or loading up after your freshman year. No need to put your g.p.a. in jeopardy when it can be avoided.

Also, consider your background, such as AP/IB. Most importantly, be honest about how you fared in high school science classes, are you willing to sacrifice a lot of social time if things turn out rougher than you expected, etc and use that knowledge to choose the best route for you! :D

P.S. I have faith in you though!